problem with my '88 Plymouth Reliant wagon

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

problem with my '88 Plymouth Reliant wagon

Postby carolslewis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm

I now have my mom's 88 Reliant since she is now in assisted living. I love this car and it has been totally reliable until recently, when it began to "die" while driving. Engine just cuts off randomly while I'm driving down the road, and then won't start again for some time, ranging from half hour to several hours. Once it starts again, the problem seems to disappear, but comes back later that day, or several days later. I've had it in the shop twice but they can't find anything wrong with it--they say it runs like a top! I had them change the fuel filter, but didn't solve the problem. I'm pulling my hair out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
carolslewis

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant 1986 wagon

Re: problem with my '88 Plymouth Reliant wagon

Postby turbokcar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 pm

check the distributor pick up plate
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Butch » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:25 pm

May be a fuel pump, did you check for codes ? Does your shop know WTF they are doing ? Hep sensor can cause this as well.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby carolslewis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks, I passed these suggestions on to my shop. The engine warning light never comes on, so no codes for them to check and so far, even after driving it for a couple of hours, they can't get it to repeat.
carolslewis

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:25 pm

Had a similar problem with mine a year ago. They said it ran fine. Turned out to
be I think either a bad Hall effect something or map sensor. They had replaced something and then the car started acting up. They replaced again and some confusing switching and testing and the car didn't do it again. Very annoying and frightening, I know. At that time, being in the hands of a bad mechanic, I considered giving up the car as my car sat for a month in the shop. Be patient, we'll get ya through this. :P
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 pm

carolslewis wrote:Thanks, I passed these suggestions on to my shop. The engine warning light never comes on, so no codes for them to check and so far, even after driving it for a couple of hours, they can't get it to repeat.

Warning light does not have to come on for them to check codes, if I understand the above post correctly?

I've had my 1986 Chrysler in the dealership 4 times, and to 2 other mechanics and the boobs don't know how to check for shit!!

Sit in your car, put key in ignition, turn key to the "on" position, but don't start the car, turn key to on, off, on, off, on, off, on, then off, then leave on...watch your dashboard directly in front of you, count the blinks of the the red light (warning light)

For example: blink, blink, pause, then blink, blink, blink, (code 23) long pause, then blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, pause, then blink, blink, blink, blink, blink, (55) is end of messages.

Click below to see what code 23 is or whatever code your car blinks out, it may not be what is causing your problem, but it may help the mechanic to pin-point where the trouble is originating possibly!

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby carolslewis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:14 am

OK, I'll pass that on to the mechanic too. Maybe I need to try a new mechanic...
carolslewis

Postby Butch » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:18 am

carolslewis wrote:OK, I'll pass that on to the mechanic too. Maybe I need to try a new mechanic...

Find one with a f@cking scan tool. These cars are WAY too simple to fix.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:35 am

Butch wrote:
carolslewis wrote:OK, I'll pass that on to the mechanic too. Maybe I need to try a new mechanic...

Find one with a f@cking scan tool. These cars are WAY too simple to fix.

That is true.

But, I am still 1 year, and hundreds of dollars trying to pin-point "my" little problem!

The Chrysler Dealership has had it 4 times, and can't seem to fix my simple little car!!

Probably because all their mechanics are young, and do not have experience with these little cars.

I have had the car into 2 other mechanics elsewhere, and they can't pin-point my problem.

One mechanic says he "scanned" everything and can't find anything wrong with my car!!!!

Yet when he drives it and keeps it for a week, he can feel a problem.....but says I'll have to wait till whatever it is causing my problem gets worse or breaks as he can't figure it out??????? :evil:

I have looked at everything i can, and am at a loss myself, thus why I took it in for a "professionally" trained mechanic to look at it.

Anyways..........CarolsLewis hope you have better luck than I have......12 months and counting!!!!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby scooters » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:45 pm

big problem with most dealerships is they rely on their comupters to highlight issues rather than detective work.

this sounds like an ignition issue or a fuel issue to me.

I would do the following:

change the plugs, leads, rotor and distributor cap for starters - all cheap to do and worth doing if you haven't already done so.Next check the timing - when was the timing belt last done? if you can't remember - change it. The K series engine is pretty agricultural and the margins for error are wide which means jobs like timing can always be neglected.

i would also, change the air filter - and check the whole inlet manifold and air filter housing and pipes for cracks.

If you still have an issue after this then next look at the fuel issue. I would change the fuel filter and the fuel pump relay. If there is still an issue then change the fuel pump. If this doesn;t fix it then check the injectors - they can get blocked with crud from the fuel tank. also - ask yourself if the fuel tank is watertight - the seals on filler caps sometimes go - I had this issue with a mini and water and condensation got into the petrol tank. You can get fuel additives that remove water from the petrol. It would be worth putting some injector cleanser into the petrol.

good luck!
scooters

Car Information: 1988 Chrylser Lebaron convertible 2.5 lt manual

Next

Return to Info and Forum Help