2.2 Shadow Engine

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

2.2 Shadow Engine

Postby jt1911 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Hey everyone.I just found a 94 Shadow with under 100K showing that needs a fuel pump.I can get it for $275.00.My goal is to use this motor for my 88 Aries.I broke the timing belt in the Aries last month.I have since replaced it and several seals.But for some reason it won't crank and doesn't seem to be making compression.It's not supposed to be an interferance motor,but it still seems like I bent a valve.
Since I can get this Shadow so cheap I thought I would fix the pump and drive it until next year.Then I could use the motor for my Aries.What I need to know is will it be a straight bolt up or am I missing some possible complications?
jt1911

Car Information: 1988 Dodge Aries

Re: 2.2 Shadow Engine

Postby Butch » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:52 pm

No you did not bend valves, yes it's a flywheeler eng. , yes you got the belt on wrong, yes the motor is a bolt in. Are both engines the same as in both N/A or both Turbo ?
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby jt1911 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Hey,both cars are plain old TBI N/A engines.So you think I got the belt on wrong? I've been told that my lifters probably "went solid" while the car sat up not running.It seems that I will need to try to carnk it for 15-20 seconds every 15 to 20 minutes to pump them back up.
The Shadow is a coupe with the typical blistering of the paint and clear coat.Man,it seems like Mopar must have used cookin' oil for primer in the early 90s.
I have a moral dilemma here.I really want the motor for my 88 coupe,but I hate to junk a good Shadow coupe.Granted,Shadow coupes are still easier to find than K coupes,but it's still a perfecly useable car.
jt1911

Postby turbokcar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Check the timing belt, and find out what is wrong, what are the lifter filled with? Oil, so how would they go solid? And if by some miracle your piston hit a valve, it had nothing to do with the timing belt, maybe the keepers on the valve fell off, and that would also be a good trick, and you would then need to change a LOT of parts.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby jt1911 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:40 am

So what you're saying is that my timing marks were off when the belt went on? Yeah,that makes sense.I did'nt put the belt on.The guy that did the work also did a compression test and each cylander was way down in the 30 to 50 range.The thing with the lifters was a guess by the same wrench who had experienced a similar problem before with a 2.5 motor.
jt1911

Postby Butch » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 am

Keep the Shadow, junk the K. Shadow runs, K doesn't. Problem solved.
Butch
Car Fan

Postby jt1911 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Damn Butch! I didn't know that the term"junk the K" was even allowed on this site.I can't part with my Aries.Besides,the Aries is a 5 speed car.And the interior is way better than the Shadow.
jt1911

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:26 pm

I wouldn't lose any sleep over scraping the Shadow. Can always throw the broken 2.2 in there and get a few bucks as a project car to a dreamer.
Arthur Dent
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Chrysler LeBaron sedan

Postby Butch » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:53 pm

jt1911 wrote:Damn Butch! I didn't know that the term"junk the K" was even allowed on this site.I can't part with my Aries.Besides,the Aries is a 5 speed car.And the interior is way better than the Shadow.

Well then, strip the Shadow and junk it. Problem solved. :lol: OR SAVE both of them as it SHOULD be. I personelly would not have a problem junking 99% of the N/A K's out there. And the one's I would save would get a REAL eng. installed. Unlike all the K car bias people here I love the cousin's as well, not to mention all the badass RWD Mopar hot rods too. Hemi's still RULE !!!!!!!!
Butch
Car Fan

Postby jt1911 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:51 pm

I agree with you on not scrapping any K based car.I personally hate to see any good,rust free car get crunched.My only concern and motivation is my budget.I personally have turned loose of several projects that I didn't have the money to finish.I've had to part with two Beetles,a 67 Ghia,two Fairmonts,a 65 Fairlane,a 93 Miata and a 79 Volvo 242GT.And that's all within the last four years.But this geeky little sky blue Aries is my last straw.If I have to drive this car from now on that's fine with me.No,it aint a turbo car,but I don't care.
I dig Real Mopars too.I would much rather have a 73 Dart or a Fury 3,but all them cars are either way out of my reach or completely rusted out.Barrett Jackson ruined the old car scene for guys like me.The only way for guys like me to have a halfway cool ride I can enjoy is to get what other people don't want.Honestly,I hope the K car scene stays under the radar forever.Cause if they ever get popular it's all over with.In fact I may even go in and take my Aries off of Car Domain.I don't want to be part of starting any kind of K car craze.God,I hope they don't put one in a movie any time soon!
Anyway,I may just fix the Shadow and give it to my son.He turned 17 yesterday.But I've ranted long enough.
jt1911

Return to Info and Forum Help