Transmission Life Aries K

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Transmission Life Aries K

Postby unveiledglory3 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:51 pm

I have just bought a 1988 Aries K. It has 170,000 miles on the transmission. In the morning when I leave the house the Drive slips slightly. What I mean is that when I put the gear shifter into the Drive it doesn't go in right away. A slight hesitation. It has a rebuilt engine. The oil has been religiously changed for the last 2 years anyway. It runs real well. Thank you, Kristi Bevans
unveiledglory3

Car Information: Chrysler Dodge Aries K 1988 2.2L

Re: Transmission Life Aries K

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Check the level of your transmission fluid.

Car must be running to check level to get a accurate reading.

Park on level area.
Pop hood.
Start car
Let idle for about 7 or 8 minutes till you can hear the radiator fan kick in, by this time you can carefully check the transmission fluid on the transmission dip stick.

Be careful not to allow loose clothing or jewelry or hair to hang near ther radiator fan, as it will cycle on and off while the car sits and idles.

Once you have checked fluid. Is it full?? is it a bright reddish pink color? If so, great!

170,000 miles is way beyond the life of a maintained transmission I think, but I am sure others will disagree.

But if the transmisson fluid and filter have "never" been changed it is way past time. Both get dirty and de-grade from use and age.

The filter may be partially clogged, not allowing the transmission fluid to flow and causing your transmission to think about it for a minute befoe actually engaging the selected gear and going.

The last time I had a transmission serviced at a dealer, it ran me about $119. That was draining all the old fluid, new filter. new fluid, and a new transmisson pan gasket.

Good Luck!!!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Re: Transmission Life Aries K

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 am

Well, my tranny has had two flushes in 22 years and is still going strong at 164,000 miles "knock wood". I here 3spd Auto is very well designed and can go in excess of 200,000 before a rebuld is needed. 8)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Info and Forum Help