what is the correct ignition timing 83 2.2 with holley

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

what is the correct ignition timing 83 2.2 with holley

Postby ohpoppy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:37 am

I just added another K-Car to my collection. A 83 Dodge Aries Wagon in new new condition with very low miles. I want to use it on long trips since it is good on gas. I can't find the correct factory timing anywhere. Even the manual says don't touch it since it was set at the factory...hogwash. Other places say look on the emissions sticker under the hood but it was removed and replaced with a recall sticker that says retard timing 2 degree's from factory settings. I want to achieve the optimum gas milege...I also wonder if there is any reason not to remove the belt off the smog pump. Are there any sensors that would render such a move illogical. I expect not but is there anyone that knows these cars well. The original owner claims 30+ mpg. Anyone do that well??? This is an amazing car. There is clear plastic tailered seat covers on since new and after removing them..the seats will be completely as new..and the dash and paint, too. Has 67,000 of only highway miles and was always garaged..Thanks, Bob
ohpoppy

Car Information: 82 Chrysler Lebaron Conv

Re: what is the correct ignition timing 83 2.2 with holley

Postby Butch » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:01 am

I'd set at 10 degrees, specs may be 12 thu. I beleive there's something to disconnect to set it also. On newer cars you have to disconnect the coolant sensor but I'm not sure about the carbed cars.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 aries » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:24 am

timing set from the factory on carbed ones are 10 but advance it to 12, and also the vacume advance should be disconnected, and why remove those nice clear seat covers!!!!! id use it for a show car instead or weekend fun.
88 aries

Postby ohpoppy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:51 am

What about the smog pump....and why remove any vac hose, the distributor has none??? the seat covers are very thick plastic and are uncomfortable. I'm especially pleased with it because I recently had to put my mother and brother in a nursing home in NY..I live in SC. I will have to travel there many times to prepare her home for sale or rent. She stopped caring for her home many years ago and I'm good with my hands as well as being retired. Being good on gas, reliable and can be insured as a classic for less then 50 per year makes this a very practical car, indeed. My conv's Lebaron and Cougar will get the podium. Thanks, Bob
ohpoppy

Postby 88 aries » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:59 pm

umm the vacume advance is on the computer!!!! not the distributer, and the smog pump can be left alone..
88 aries

Postby ohpoppy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:32 am

left alone meaning leave it hooked up???
ohpoppy

Postby ohpoppy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:41 am

and that vacume advance on the computer..I never looked at it but I will. Do you mean disconnect it during timing and then reconnect it. I noticed the idle is a little eradic. I need to replace the 3 year old gas and expect that will fix it but wonder about the computer..how can the computer control the advance? The only logical way would be if it causes the plate that holds the magnetic pickup rotate and advance. I didn't notice anything like that in the distributor. I assumed that there is weighted spring advance in there without vacume which is not uncommon instead of a motorized device controlled by computor. Please explain.... Thanks, Bob
ohpoppy

Postby 88 aries » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:01 am

according to my 81 manual it says, disconnect vaccume advance located on the computer. its basicly a rubber hose that goes over a hit on the computer, remove this and start the engine. the idle will be off until you place it back over the computers tit.

but yes remove before timing
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Welcome back ohpoppy! One of original CKCC members. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 pm

ohpoppy wrote:but wonder about the computer..how can the computer control the advance? Please explain.... Thanks, Bob

See this link below for some explanation of the spark control module. I think the distributor cap is designed to allow for some variation in rotor position over an expected range of controlled spark variation to allow for computer control to change the point where high voltage is generated and transferred from the center coil wire to the particular cylinder wires, effectively changing spark advance.

http://www.surpluselectron.com/aaron/esa.htm
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Return to Info and Forum Help