Whomp-whomp noise drivers side 83 Lebaron

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Whomp-whomp noise drivers side 83 Lebaron

Postby thill944 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:45 pm

I have an 83 Lebaron Mark Cross Convertible. I have put new CV axle assemblies, struts, rotors, and brake pads on both sides. I put a new brake, hub and bearing on the drivers side. Car has new tires on it also. I still get this noise from the drivers side when I get up to about 20 miles and hour. The noise continues and you speed up. If I put the car in neutral while rolling along the noise continues so I don't think it is in the transmission. Transmission shifts fine. When I put the passenger side axle assembly in I noticed there was a wear sleeve on the old axle that was not on the new axle. I took it off the old axle and placed it on the new one before installation. I replaced the driver side axle some time ago but don't remember if the new axle had this wear sleeve. I didn't at the time know that it required one. My guess is the new one I put on is missing this wear sleeve. I doubt that this missing sleeve would cause the noise I am getting. The wear sleeve is nothing more than a large washer. Anyone have an idea what might be causing this noise. Car doesn't pull to one side or the other so it can' the a brake dragging. New rotors should not be warped. I am out of ideas! :cry:
thill944

Car Information: 83 Lebaron Convertible Mark Cross Town and Countr

Re: Whomp-whomp noise drivers side 83 Lebaron

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: Whomp-whomp noise drivers side 83 Lebaron

Postby thill944 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:28 pm

No I haven't had the car aligned yet. The front end was so much out of alignment when I purchased it I thought I would get all the bad things changed out before I took it in for an alignment. I bought this car sight unseen over the internet. I talked to the owner on numerous occasions asking questions about the the condition of the various parts of the car. Alas I found that the seller lied through her teeth. I had to replace the entire exhaust system, the exhaust manifold had a crack in it, the carburetor was all screwed up-took forever to get it tuned in, the front rotors were shot and the brake pads were down to the metal, not to the brads, down to the metal. One of the rotors had two quarter inch deep by about a half inch wide groove in them. The brake caliper was stuck also. She had put an old tire on the front drivers side and it was worn badly on the inside of the tire. Car was supposed to be a two owner and garaged kept. I found mouse droppings all over the engine and even in the air filter housing. The mice had eaten some of the wiring to the windshield washer motor. It had a new title, said they lost the old one. The old title had an odometer reading of 87,000 miles, it was dated 2003. The new title had 87,000 miles odometer reading, it was dated 2010. Guess it sat in that garage (barn) for a few years. The front crank seal is leaking badly which I plan on fixing-she said no oil leaks. There is no rust on the car but it has a few small dents like hail damage. She said the paint was in good shape and shiny. Well that was a joke. Sorry for the rant. The tires came on the car so I'm guessing they were balanced when installed. I was going to have them balanced again when I get the alignment.
thill944

Car Information: 83 Lebaron Convertible Mark Cross Town and Countr

Return to Info and Forum Help