!988 Aries won't keep running

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

!988 Aries won't keep running

Postby billygoat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 pm

1988 Aries 2.5 starts for about 2 seconds then dies, will keep running if I keep pumping pedal fast , but runs very bad, will also run if I squirt gas down the throttle body.
Car was running fine the next day would not start.
changed spark plugs
changed spark plug wires
changed cap and rotor
checked timing
checked timing belt and cam mark location
changed injector (tested on bench had a good spray with 10psi pressure)
installed gauge in fuel line(15ps1)
changed fuel regulator
checked coil, when cranking has good spark to engine ground, but with a spark plug grounded spark looks some what weak.
changed halofect module (used one)
took off SMEC and cleaned all connections (all connections looked good)

put a volt meter on injector wires, (with injector disconnected) with key on (or starting) was about 12 volts, but when I hooked it up, voltage went way down. It also did this on the coil input voltage.

I'm not giving up!! Need your help, Please!!

Billy Goat.
billygoat

Car Information: Dodge Aries 1988 2.5

Re: !988 Aries won't keep running

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:45 am

Hi,

Welcome to the club! You certainly have been through the list of things you have done to find the problem. when you say the engine will run when you pour some gas down the throttle body , that leads me to think you have a fuel delivery issue. You said you measured about 15 pounds of fuel delivery pressure, I believe you shound have about 30 pounds out of the fuel pump so that may be the problem. If you are measuring the pressure at the throttle body input you may have a really clogged fuel filter or the fuel pump is failing. Also, you seem to indicate the electrical system voltage may be low. I would put a good volt meter across the battery and see how low the voltage is going when you crank the engine. The battery may be really low from trying to start the car and need to be charged or the battery itself is not up to the job. You could also have a bad connection at the battery terminals so cleaning then up may help.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:04 pm

I assume you already checked for fault codes and did not find any? This link below says that 15psi pressure is normal for 86 and up TBI N/A.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fuelsystem.html

Here is a link to some additional troubleshooting fuel related info.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html

Also fuel quality ok? Gasoline/ethanol - not stale? No water in fuel? Not an almost empty tank?
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Ron,

You're absolutely right it's 15 pounds for fuel pressure on the 86 and up cars. I must have been thinking of the 85 and under cars and their 36 pounds. I'm going have to learn not to trust my old and failing memory and look things up!
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Pete in NH wrote:Hi Ron,

You're absolutely right it's 15 pounds for fuel pressure on the 86 and up cars. I must have been thinking of the 85 and under cars and their 36 pounds. I'm going have to learn not to trust my old and failing memory and look things up!

Thats OK, my young failing memory couldn't remember either haha. I knew one was high and one was low but couldn't remember which was which. :lol:
MyDodgeDip

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Later, they switched back to a higher pressure design. My 93 manual manual shows 39 psi for the 2.2/2.5 TBI. So there is only a couple year window (86-90) with the low pressure design.
Last edited by K-CAR_WAGON on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Postby Dodge Aries K » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 pm

THey switched back to high pressure in 91 so they could use the same fuel pump for V6, TBI, and Turbo instead of different ones.
Dodge Aries K

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Are most of the 89-90 TBI parts interchangeable with my 88? What about differences between 2.2 vs 2.5 (just injector?) More 89-90's seem to be in yards than 88s.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Postby Dodge Aries K » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:34 am

I think almost all of them are to be honest.
Dodge Aries K

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:18 am

Yep, pretty sure 86 and up injection stuff is pretty much all the same.
MyDodgeDip

Next

Return to Info and Forum Help