Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Advice on 2.2L engine surging & transmission slipping

Postby dan435 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:00 am

Try the IAC or idle air control valve, aka: idle air speed control
dan435

Car Information: sadly none- former 83 reliant 2dr 4spd stick

Re: Advice on 2.2L engine surging & transmission slipping

Postby 1987dodgearies » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:32 pm

I actually ended up replacing the sensor with one from the junk yard. In installing it, had to solder on the proper connector (which I wire snipped off my worn out sensor) because my wiring harness connector was different... as far as the male/female connector on my car and harnesses in the junk yard. I'm not sure why but that was no big deal.

The first time I soldered it together, I wasn't paying close attention of which wire went where...and reversed the two "pig tails" on the cut off connector and soldered the wires together wrong. I had a 50/50 chance, so of course I did it wrong. Once I properly oriented the wires I soldered them back together with electrical solder.

For about 2-3 days the engine had similar surging just like it had with the old sensor. However, I think it was because the internals of the switch in the junk yard (from sitting so long) had corroded or oxidized or what ever you might call it. After about 75 miles, it then ran perfectly, with no surging at all. I think that it just had to kinda self clean itself.

The only thing that remains is when I sometimes start the car, the cold/high idle will be racing. It started before the weather got too cold. Its cold now and I only notice that happening about 1-2 times a week, like something is sticking. However its just when its started after sitting all night and with a completely cold engine. It doesn't do it often but when it does, it sounds like the engine is ready to take off.
I'm not able to drop the idle down by hitting the gas pedal, so I have to keep my foot off the brake and pop the transmission into drive. Of course the car lunges, but then it seems to be fine shortly after. I still need to figure that one out.
1987dodgearies

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries base model sedan

Previous

Return to Info and Forum Help