Electronic control unit location

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Electronic control unit location

Postby polaris552 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 pm

I have a 1983 New Yorker (Not a 5th avenue) with a 2.6 mitsubishi. It will run poorly for a day or two.. then run fine for a month then run poorly again. I am wondering if the ECU is acting up. I can't seem to locate the computer at all.. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have changed the plugs, wires, distributor, coil. Some times it won't idle at a stop.. other times it idles fine but won't accelerate. Sometimes if I turn the car off and restart it it runs better.
Thanks.
Phil Wetmore
polaris552@comcast.net
polaris552

Car Information: 1983 Chry New Yorker, 1985 Chrys T & C

Re: Electronic control unit location

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 am

Hello Phil,

Sorry you are having trouble. By the way, congratulations on being only the 2nd member in our club to have an 83 New Yorker, as this model is becoming extinct,
and there are only 30 or so left in the country. Email me some pictures, details of the problem, and running video if you can to chryslerkcarclub@gmail.com.

Also, I am not bashful about asking for donations. As a guest, you can become a full chartered premium member for $20 for 12 months. It will get you a car club
license plate frame, ID Card, and unlimited resources. If interested:

http://www.chryslerkcar.com/donate-to-the-ckcc.html
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi Phil!
Your search for an ECU will be futile as the 2.6 Mitsu did not use one , This engine uses a semi-conventional distributor
with a vacuum advance unit (round pot mounted on the side of the distributor with a vacuum hose running from it). The Ignition coil is triggered by a switching module inside the distributor I think Mitsu/Chrysler called it an "ignitor".
For temperamental operation I would check all of the underhood vacuum hoses etc. for cracks and general deterioration ,as any vacuum leak will cause rough running and very poor acceleration as you are essentially "leaning out " the fuel mixture. Carb float level and fuel bowl debris can cause issues as well. General "tune up" techniques can do wonders such as routine checks of the hot air inlet, EGR valve operation (noted to cause poor idle etc. if not seating properly) & periodic replacement of air and fuel filters etc. Hope this helps.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby polaris552 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:54 pm

I will be sending in my donation in the next week or so.
On my 1983 New Yorker, I have searched for the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) under the hood and behind the front passenger kick panel. (My 85 LeBaron has it behind the kick panel). When I searched for the part it looks like the ECU of my 85. My car has the dash buttons for time/date/trip od/MPG/range. It also says it is "computer equiped". The MPG and the Range no longer work so I am wondering if that is part of the ECU problem as well..
I would appreciate any help with this. I do like the car very much. I am surprised that there are so few of them on the road anymore. There were a ton made.
Phil
polaris552

Car Information: 1983 Chry New Yorker, 1985 Chrys T & C

Postby Kwagon2 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi Phil
I tried to tell you about the ignition module on the 2.6 Mitsu yesterday but my posts haven't come through yet. (I just joined) The travel computer and the engine ignition system are not related. The switch module for the travel computer and the audible message centre with the visual message centre are tied together but don't tie to the engine directly. Near the engine you'll find the fuel flow sensor and there should be the travel computer interface module on the right side fender shield there is also a distance sensor in the speedometer cable . The audible message centre control module is mounted above the glovebox and has two multi pin connectors exiting from it. To diagnose the operation of the travel computer you need to follow the test procedure in the factory service manual ...if you start poking around in there with a test light etc.chances are you'll hurt it.
I can provide the test procedures for the 2.6 Mitsu ignition module and the travel computer.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:10 pm

I don't think your car has an ECU. In 83 the K-cars 2.2L American engine had a spark control unit near the battery. However, the shop manual does not show a similar unit for controlling the 2.6L Japanese engine. There might be a digital computer inside the car for the MPG and range, but I can't seem to locate it quickly in the 83 service manual.

The one at Rockauto and on Ebay corresponding to P/N 5231980 is listed in the Mopar parts book as a logic module.

Try LH front engine compartment area for a combustion controller computer used on 2.6l engines. (Chrysler Parts book lists this part shown below as P/N MD080152 as a carb emission controller for 2.6 liter.)
See locations in description in link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECU-ECM-COMPUTE ... c6&vxp=mtr

Many of the early K-cars with the 2.6L engines had problems with the carburetor and/or vacuum related problems or sensor problems causing problems resulting in poor driveability and/or poor or erratic idle. In addition, the timing chain or balance shaft chain were problematic.

I suggest you buy a set of dealer factory service manuals including the wiring diagrams on Ebay. You can find a set cheap on Ebay (if you look awhile) as its an 83. (Maybe $10 for the pair of main manual or $15 for all 3.)

The electrical and engine performance volume includes wiring diagrams.
Chassis and body is the main repair volume.
There is also a supplement.
See some links below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Dodge-Chry ... bb&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-CHRYSLER-P ... 2e&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Omni-Horiz ... 71&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Chrysler-C ... 2306feaeca
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby lilisaacray » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:11 am

kwagon2 can you please provide me with the test procedures for the 2.6 Mitsu ignition module and the travel computer. I have a 83 lebaron 2.6 liter and ever since i replaced the stock stereo with an aftermarket stereo my travel computer never worked again. i miss it dearly. Also ive totally lost spark and the ignition contol module and distributor are the last two things i havent replaced. i need help. thanks
lilisaacray

Car Information: 83 chrysler lebaron 2.6 liter convertible

Return to Info and Forum Help