floor repair

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

floor repair

Postby johnny g » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:53 am

Hi,
Does anyone know what gauge sheetmetal I should use in repairing the hole in the front passenger side floor in my 86 Aries? The iron moths have attacked the floor pan in only this one place, the rest of the floor is as it should be, good and solid. Barring this, is there anyone making patch panels for these cars yet? Living up here in Michigan, winter salt is a major problem and so for the only repair panels I have found and uses have been the rocker panels. I wish I could put her up for the winter but that isn't possible so I drive her almost every day, summer through winter. Though she still looks good with the bondo patching I'ver done, I would really like to have some real metal put into the affected places.
johnny g

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries K 4-door sedan

Re: floor repair

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm about to embark on the same journey but I have about 80% of the floor to repair and I'll be making the panels. I figure gauge thickness is about 20 gauge since its the floor but I still have to measure it. I've checked all over and Nobody makes floor sections for K cars...the only repair panels I've spotted are the outer rocker skins.
What I'll be doing after the floor is in is coating it with a product called POR-15, its amazing stuff and becomes almost part of the metal and will prevent further rust.
I'll be checking the gauge today as I have to order the steel to begin...I'll post my findings
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: floor repair

Postby Kwagon2 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:34 pm

So i finally got the floor measured...looks like its very close to a 22 gauge...approx .028"
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Return to Info and Forum Help