Should I Buy Help?

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Should I Buy Help?

Postby Mickey12 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 pm

New to K-Cars. To buy or not to buy?

Saw this ’83 Lebaron for sale on craigslist. My concern is the engine type. Owner says it’s a 2.2 but he's not sure. I understand that the 2.6 has lots of problems and don’t want to get stuck with replacing the motor or doing Weber carb. swap.

Here is what the owner is saying:
"It has a 2.2 litre(i think) 4 cylinder, carburated engine. Automatic trans, power windows & locks & seats. Cruise & tilt wheel. Pretty much everything that was offered in 1983. Factory am-fm casette radio will not come on. Trip meter has some lights that light up but does not work. Air conditioning lost its charge sometime about 4 years ago while in storage (compressor is not froze up). Car has had 3 owners of which the last 2 have been collectors. Its been in storage and only driven once or twice a year for several years. All original, never restored. Doesn't leak fluids. Always starts right up when battery is charged."

Here's the link

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5689742597.html

What’s your opinion of this ride?
Thanks
Mickey12

Car Information: 1983 Lebaron

Re: Should I Buy Help?

Postby Kwagon2 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:38 pm

HI
I had a look at the ad and that's a nice car for not much money!! The differences between the 2.2 and the 2.6 are very obvious with the 2.6 when you open the hood the carb sits right up front with the air inlet tube running across the valve cover to the air cleaner cannister positioned close to the firewall. The 2.2 has the carb at the back of the engine with the air cleaner assembly attached , the air inlet tube runs over to the drivers side behind the battery to the spark control computer mounted on the fender shield beside the battery. Also check the VIN , in 1983 the eighth character will be a "C" if its a 2.2 and a "G" if its a 2.6. Hope this helps.....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Re: Should I Buy Help?

Postby Mickey12 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks, you have some good info.
Mickey12

Car Information: 1983 Lebaron

Return to Info and Forum Help