Can a newer throttle body be installed on 2.2l

Go here for help using this forum.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Can a newer throttle body be installed on 2.2l

Postby D600 Las » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:12 am

Hello everyone just wondering if anyone has or has heard of putting a newer throttle body on the 2.2l engine Inuave a 1985 Dodge 600 convertible. It has the first gen throttle body, and I think the IAC is bad an I can't find a replacement. So wondering if the whole throttle body can be replaced with say like one from an 86 for example? Thanks in advance
D600 Las

Car Information: 1985 Dodge 600 convertible

Re: Can a newer throttle body be installed on 2.2l

Postby Kwagon2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 am

Hi
I also have the first generation Chrysler/Bosch throttle body fuel injection on my '85 Reliant. The IAC (which I take to mean Idle air control?) is performed by the A.I.S. motor (Automatic Idle Speed ) located right on the back of the throttle body. Throttle body repair kits are still available which will allow you to remove the A.I.S motor etc. for cleaning which is usually the problem. Using a later throttle body say from an '86 I would think would not be possible due to the numerous changes made , the critical one that I can think of is that the fuel pressure was reduced to roughly 15 psi down from 35 on the '85 So the injector and fuel pressure regulator are different. The '86 throttle body is a complete redesign with a design change being made to the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the AIS motor which is a four terminal unit , there is also an integral throttle body temp sensor to provide a new logic input to help compensate for hot starts . So I would tend to think that electronic compatibility is in question. This a small item but the '86 version is also lower in height with a new design air cleaner assembly .
I'm also not sure about intake manifold compatibility.
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby D600 Las » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Sorry it took me a couple days to read this. Still trying to figure out the site. I guess I will try and clean it then like you suggested. I got this Dodge 600 convertible as a father daughter project. Its in great shape just the Idle is crazy high, when it warms up. Of course I found out about the AIS scarcity after the fact :(
D600 Las

Car Information: 1985 Dodge 600 convertible

Postby Kwagon2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 am

Hi
The first gen TBI is a rare beast now for sure but when they work they work well! I'll keep mine going for as long as I'm able!
But I do have a contingency plan.... Good luck with the cleaning ... post again if you need further help.

p.s. With a high idle when warm look for small vacuum/air leaks in the connecting hoses etc. to the throttle body ...run your thumb and forefinger along the hoses bending them slightly , cracks will show up that way. Small leaks I've seen will add air to increase the idle speed but not enough to lean out the mixture to where the engine is sluggish etc. Just a further thought.....
Kwagon2
Car Fan

Car Information: '82 Aries Wagon,'85 Reliant SE,'82 Reliant Wagon

Postby marty mopar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:50 pm

I've got lots of used AIS motors if you need them

www.arizonaparts.com
marty mopar
Car Fan

Car Information: 1992 Daytona IROC R/T

Return to Info and Forum Help