CASH FOR CLUNKERS IS NOW LAW!! IT PASSED.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

CASH FOR CLUNKERS IS NOW LAW!! IT PASSED.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 pm

I am very disappointed to announce that the US Cash for Clunkers passed
the US Senate today with an overwhelming majority by the Democrats. We will
be paying for it. Worse, any dealer caught reselling the old traded vehicle instead
of scapping it will be fined $15000. The only good news is cars before 84 don't qualify, they have to get 18mpg or less, and the voucher has to be towards a new car. But, I am so angry about that $15000 fine and the fact that now old cars will
be probably be more expensive and unaffordable. The aftermarket people and
junkyards are going to suffer. No more cars for charity I guess. The program is suppossed to last only a year, and they may run out of funds to fund it. Of all the audacity, it was attached to a huge war spending stimulas bill. I am very upset. Now, we are just like you Canadians. The president of the United States is expected to sign the bill any day and he is the one behind it. :cry: :x
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: CASH FOR CLUNKERS IS NOW LAW!! IT PASSED.

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:49 pm

How are you like 'us' Canadians? I could go buy an 80's car off a dealer right now! Or go to the yard, the part store, or do anything 'Clunker' related when I want to. Just curious what you mean about that? Anyway thats not good for you guy's in the U.S. of A.
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby taxiguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:55 am

The article I read said it only counts for trucks, SUVs, and Minivans. Does this mean that regular passenger cars are not in danger? Also do you HAVE to buy a BRAND new car to get the voucher or can you buy a used one with the money? And what's this about a 15000 dollar fine?
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:27 am

Any car between 1984 and 2002 that gets a combined gas mileage of 18mpg or less can be traded into the dealer to be destroyed in exchange for an electronic voucher of $3500-$4500 provided
by the government as a down payment on a 2009 car that gets slightly better gas mileage to encourage you to buy that new car to spur auto sales. The cars have to be running. Perfectly good cars will subsequently be destroyed and all the valuable parts crushed, not recycled. Therefore, the parts availability for the average joe will decrease, prices will increase, and junkyards, repair shops, and the aftermarket industry will suffer. Also, if a dealership is caught reselling the targeted car after receiving the voucher form Uncle Sam, it will be fined $15000 for that car. Thus, like in Europe, driving an old car will become more of a luxury
than a necessity, because European countries have cash for clunker programs. Most at risk from this bill will be any rare classic made after 1984 and all the big GM cars we love like Lincoln Town Cars, your Ford
Crown Victoria, and more. Also, they are taking your taxpayer dollars to pay for the wasteful destruction of old cars, driving up the aftermarket prices, and more. Now, this is my opinion. Others will disagree with me. What is ludicrous about this is they are encouraging you to take on more debt as many people can't afford a new car and this voucher will cause more credit card slaves to come to the showroom.
89ARIES

Postby taxiguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 am

Well, I don't think you really shouldn't worry about this much at all Guy. Very few Amercians are actually going to go through with this. I mean, just critically think about it for a moment....

Imagine if you will, all the people that own older vehicles worth less than 3,500 dollars. They all either...

a) ...can't afford to buy a new car even with the voucher

b) ...don't want to buy a new car becuase there's nothing wrong with their old one

c) ...like having an older car anyway (after all, they do OWN it, so they must have WANTED it)

d) ...really do have a true "clunker" (beat up, rusty, high miles, falling apart, mechanial issues, etc..), in which case it will not be a much of a loss since it a piece of crap
Last edited by taxiguy on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
taxiguy
Car Fan

Postby taxiguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:31 am

Ooops, you posted before I finsihed submitting that message!! :D
taxiguy
Car Fan

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Until the President of the United Staes signs a bill that has been approved by the House and rectified by the Senate..."IT IS NOT A LAW!" That has not happened yet!

Chief
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby 88 aries » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 pm

not worried about this still because all my 3 of my K-cars get 30+ and the mighty corsica gets a fine 28 MPG with v6 power,
88 aries

Postby Baron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Thought you may find this article interesting- the first feedback on what's happening now that the law has kicked into place.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090728/ap_ ... clunkers_1

I think it may be of some note that most of the vehicles traded in have been huge gas-guzzling SUVs, not so many passenger cars.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:54 pm

My big fear with all this was losing all my favorite 80s Chevy Caprices and Crown Vics. However, they
tend to now be regarded as classics by some. Some are even selling for $3000. I sincerely hope people
won't in their stupidity trade all the last of these truly well built American cars with REAL room, bumpers,
and reliability.
89ARIES

Next

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events