My car almost overheated. Solved the problem.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

My car almost overheated. Solved the problem.

Postby Webmaster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Last week, my temp guage starting climbing up to the H. I immediately assumed thermostat. I pulled into a Jiffy Lube like place and had them replace it. It
turns out the old one was completely severed and no longer working. The opening mechanism had been totally sheared off. Then, the same day, the car started
overheating again. So, my brother and I checked everything and I think they failed to bleed the system of air. Took off the radiator cap, and coolant came out. After that,
the car has since now been running normal and staying at 1/2 with occasional up to 2/3 and then cooling. As soon as I get some money, I am going to invest in a dual cord
radiator that Chief recommends. It seems they use inadequate radiators and fans for the 2.5. Got lucky this time.
Webmaster
Site Admin

Car Information: Top Secret

Re: My car almost overheated. Solved the problem.

Postby Butch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:35 am

Guy I'm confused, is Charles no longer Webmaster ? We better check for a blown head gasket at the repair meet. Aluminum heads DON'T like to be overheated.
Last edited by Butch on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:38 am

I accidentally posted on his computer and did not realize he was signed in under his username. Even he doesn't know yet, but he will. :P
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby turbokcar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Guy, I installed an electric fan to the front of my radiator to help keep my engine cool, I also don't care to change head gaskets. I think I saw one on Butch's car as well. I will look around my garage to see if I have a spare one.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Butch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Yea I put an extra fan on when I converted to R134 freon many years ago. Guys rad is much bigger than mine + should cool the engine with no problem. The T2 rad in my car is smaller and still does the job. If he has overheating problems that are not connected to the rad or thermostat, putting a bigger rad or adding an extra fan would only be a bandaid fix. Say the waterpump took a shit, the engine would still overheat with the bandaids. A block check will tell if the headgasket is blown, it doesn't take much to warp these heads when overheated also, which is why i have a spare head.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 aries » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 am

hmm... i have another way to cool my K down, when ever the car is off or im sitting at the drive thru, i shut the car off, and i turn on my A/C button which kicks the fan on, and it only happens with my 86 Reliant the 88 Aries will not.

and why do A/C cars have a fan shoud while a non A/C car like my 85, has a small fan with no shroud, i ran the car a little just to see how much air the little fan pushed, i was impressed, it blew just as much air as my a/c cars.
88 aries

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events