No car shows scheduled at the moment. Will soon though.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

No car shows scheduled at the moment. Will soon though.

Postby 89ARIES » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:08 am

Well, I have not scheduled any K car meets or shows since the big one last month, but I will once I finish this cram session at Cal State University Northridge in early July. I have some ideas I think are cool. If no one has any input or population strength to offer, I will be planning more events starting in early August. However, I really want to hear some ideas from you guys. As for you SoCal members, we are just beginning to get the numbers we need for regular events. I know at least ten of you or more are in the Los Angeles area. Let me know of some events you would be interested in.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: No car shows scheduled at the moment. Will soon though.

Postby turbokcar » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:00 pm

What if, who ever is interested, and local, meet at Bob's for lunch or dinner, with our K cars?
There are 3 Bob's in the LA area, Long Beach being the newest. Just an idea.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi Turbo K car! Yes, we are going to meet at Bobs. I hope you can make it. I know you are in Orange Country. Anyways, the date set is Friday, August 8th at the old Bobs Big Boy on Riverside Drive in Burbank. We are hoping to get at least six K cars there. We want to see the reaction among the muscle car owners as we put K cars all over the parking lot. We have a new member coming from LA with a modified 1982 Dodge 400 Convertible with 60s chrome and hubcaps. I was very busy for two months and had to take time off from my hobby which is putting together car shows. Really, we need more local members for our shows. However, with the club growing so rapdily, I think we will have many more members. The hardest part of running the club, besides running this website, is just trying to get members to commit to come to our shows. Everyone is busy and we are still kind of located far apart from each other.
89ARIES

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:11 pm

*Now that I see the details I may be able to make it! (if i make it)

Hey Guys, Too bad that I'm not going to be able to make that. I live in Ontario, Canada. But some fun news August 1st is my birthday present...Drive my 1987 Dodge Aries from Ontario to B.C. followed by south to California and finishing in Nevada. Tourturing a K-Car you may say but the Dodge dealership in my town has challenged me to prove my Aries is just as good as a 2009 Dodge Caliber (which is also traveling with me) and if my K-Car survives the dealership will fully restore my K-Car and provide free parts and tune-ups for life. If I lose they offer me a 2009 Dodge Caliber for the same price I paid for my K-Car, ($1,200). Please wish both me and my baby K good luck on our jouney. (links to video of the jouney will follow)
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 pm

Thats awesome! I can't wait to see the videos. My car went on a 1600 mile journey in May almost to Oregon. I wish I could brag that my car was perfect, but it had problems. Had the stupid thermostat not gotten stuck and my 7 year old battery decided not to quit, my car would have performed almost without issue. Actually, that long trip was a blessing because the car actually broke down when we got home because of underlying issues that took years to surface. The fuel injector gave out and the car would not stay running. Its like the long trip brought out the main issues through cross country exercise. They were a fuel injector dumping to much fuel, 7 year old battery, a stuck thermostat that caused the engine to overheat a little (almost blowing the headgasket, got home on a wing and a prayer with no damage to the engine), and a constant electrical problem causing check engine light flickers. Well, everything except the check engine light has been addressed. I still have the flickering check engine light. But the car is running 100 percent better and I feel challenged to take the car on another long road trip to prove a K car can make it. Actually, I will and will be better prepared next time. All this happened despite me feeding too much money to mechanics and keeping up on the maintenance. I finally found a competent person. By the way, are you going to be in Los Angeles? My office is on the westside. Maybe you could stop by my office for some photos. Maybe my office is close to your route and we could meet. My office is located at 18321 Ventura Blvd, Ste 600 in Tarzana, California. You can look me up on mapquest or goodle maps. Good luck on your trip! Its about time the K car earned some respect. I hope your car is ready and maybe my auto woes will give you an idea of what to look out for. Long live the K car.
89ARIES

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Thank You for the encouragement! Right after my post I went out to the car to program the Route in my GPS and then I saw something terrifying for an engine... A little black pool under the front end. Oil loss is scary. I am going to call a tow truck to take her to the dealer. (I have a Chrysler Tech there he cuts me deals and he's been there since the Duster came out). Well I needed to take her in for the Prep that they promised me but if this is too big I might not be able to pay for the repairs. My back up plan is a 2.2L Fuel Injected engine I have in my garage (a little project to replace my 2.5 down the road or NOW). Everything should work out and the knowledge about California is helpful. We have a route to follow exactly and I'll see if we can come by your office. Las Vegas is the finish line cause its a little joke about the huge gamble I'm taking (fake laughter). But she'll go fine down the road. Talk you through the jouney as I go as well as vid's later.

*I actually need to rent tires from a friend who owns a tire shop. Gonna get a set of really high end preformance touring tires instead of the original tires that the car rolled out of the factory on!
Hope my car can survive the western heat!
dodgeariesguy

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:03 pm

Cool. Well, I hope your oil leak is not too serious. I have a minor oil leak right now where I have to top off the engine with oil every few weeks. The weak points with these cars to look for on long trips are the thermostats and oil leaks (learned from Sacramento trip). Some sources recommend a change of the thermostat during every oil change. Those thermostats can kill a k car. It seems a lot of them end up faulty or get stuck. The one that partially failed on mine was only a couple months old and had been done by a bad mechanic who caused multiple coolant leaks to magically appear in my motor after he supposedly replaced the radiator and hoses. I had leaks like a garden hose. In fact, a large air gurgle or bubble was discovered in the cooling system right after I got back from Sacramento. When my thermostat failed, the temp gauge would maintain steady but sometimes above the 2/3rd mark when cruising. Then, it started randomly going all the way to H at idle and cruising and the thermostat would finally pop open and the engine would cool down. In fact, it only hit the H once on the Sacramento trip and then hitting H all the time once the car got safely home. Climbing the Grapevine at 5000 feet, I was a little surprised to see the needle barely keep steady between 2/3rds and H and I saw at least 6 1980s and 90s Chrysler minivans overheated on the side of the road.

Yep, the K car has a very good engine, but watch out for that cooling system. By the way, Chief, who is on this board, recommends replacing the thermostat and a radiator with a modified one that keeps the engine way cooler and a better fan that keeps the engine cool. I got lucky and finally got the burps out of my system and a decent mediocre thermostat where the needles now goes up to 2/3rds and comes down again like it should. It has only been in the last two weeks that I have stopped looking at the temp guage with fear the car will overheat again. Yes, barring any bad cooling system or loss of oil, I think your K car will perform flawlessly on the journey. By the way, my episode with the car was the only and perhaps last time during all the years of ownership that I had such a sticky thermostat. Good luck. For the route, I would suggest coming down the California coastal route throught San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Barbara on US Hwy 101. It becomes the Hollywood Freeway and runs right into the heart of Los Angeles. The freeway runs within a mile or so of my office. If you can make it here, we'll take pictures and it will look great on the website to see an American and Canadian club member meeting each other as the Canadian continues on his great journey.
89ARIES

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:21 am

Well the leak was terrible as I was told and saw (shutters) the lot attendent who was told by Service was told to drive her into the bay (I told them to pull it in) and the oil was all gone. The car drove about 50 feet and the pistions ravaged the engine and she went to heaven. I only have about 13 days + my job. To change an engine and make sure she it works great. Well I guess we all hate surprise/freak accidents. I'm having a funeral for the engine tonight when I drop it off at the junkyard. (I had them pull it there and I brought it home in my 91 Caravan).
dodgeariesguy

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:26 am

Oh man, I am so sorry. Was it the rear main seal that blew? Gosh. So, are you going to swap in a new motor or is the car toast? I must say you got me all excited and I am sure you were to. I really hope it turns out for the best. However it goes, its only a car.
89ARIES

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm hard at work changing the engine. I wish that I could've spent more time on the 2.2L before I had to put it in. Time is running out to get ready and with work putting on the pressure I may need to use sick days (no biggie I have 20). Working in my houses garage is difficult its only a one car but I can do it. All day working i'll be done in 6 days. If its ok I might be asking some tech questions.
dodgeariesguy

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events