I was in car heaven. K car show on Friday was fun. Club fun.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

I was in car heaven. K car show on Friday was fun. Club fun.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:45 am

Sorry most of you could not be there. We had a great time at our car show on Friday at the Bobs Big Boy in Burbank, Ca. Despite cancellations by members and a few no shows, we managed to pull off 4 cars. In fact, we managed to cram the club members into one table in the overcrowded restaurant for our first club dinner and we talked about the club and our future. We also chatted about a whole bunch of other things. Here is how the weekend started:

On Friday afternoon, my boss and I headed down to Long Beach, California to pick up his 1964 Studebaker Cruiser 4dr Sedan. I got to drive the car 50 miles back on the dangerous I-405 freeway back up through the Los Angeles area. I had to really keep my distance as I did not want to slam on 60s drum brakes. The car shook at idle, but it was great fun. I went as fast as 70mph.

I ended up being late for the show at Bobs. I wanted to be there early at 4PM to grab parking. I wasn't able to get there until 4:40. By then, it was a zoo. Too many classic cars and no parking. Chaos ensued as we almost had an accident and one person may have been hit by a moving car as an ambulance arrived. Police were on site for crowd control and ticketing. Rick showed up from Huntington Beach, Ca. with his 86 Shelby LeBaron Conv. He had plowed through 50 miles of heavy traffic. The next two hours was a series of cars arriving, chaos, and grabbing a parking spot. We had to wait an hour to reserve a table at the 1947 Bobs Big Boy. About six, Mike made it in from Woodland Hills with his black 86 LeBaron Coupe. I was disappointed as certain people pulled a no show. I was hoping for that fourth car. Matt was able to make it from Pasadena with his 82 Aries Wagon from work. He had barely found the time to get over to Bobs and he had not had a chance to wash his car. I said that was okay and not to worry about it. It had been 9 months since I had seen Matt and his stock 82 Aries Wagon 2.6. So, in all we had 4 cars. We had a great dinner where my boss and parents attended and the club members were able to meet my brother Charles, are webmaster, my boss, and myself. We had a lot of fun. After dinner, before we left, we took a look at our cars and I actually got to take a short ride in all the K cars around the block. That really made my day. I got to experience a ride in a turbopowered Shelby, a coupe, and the wagon. Thanks everybody for the rides.

After the show, I drove 60 miles late at night to Los Alamitos JFTB in Orange County for my Saturday military drill. I am a 2nd Lieutenant in the California State Military Reserve. This military force is the state militia home guard that supports the National Guard. It is not a Federal force. The base is from WWII and is in need of major repairs. There is almost no money and thus a lot of old vehicles are sill used and buildings are in a bad state. My job at the moment is to assist the Center for Military History to write a book on the history of the base. I spent most of Saturday doing that. Also, something very unusual happened. Four 1980s Army K cars popped up in one place in the parking lot. The 87 New Yorker escaped before I could get a pic. I have pics of the other three cars I will send you. A multicolored rebuilt 85 Reliant 2.6 liter that the sergeant had rebuilt after totaling it, my car, and an 85 Aries 2.6. All four door sedans.

During this weekend, I saw more 1980s cars than I had seen in a very long time. At least 100. I saw everything in between and stuff back to the 30s. It depends where you go. I saw so many rare models and I lost count. I also rode in a 1953 Dodge Army Truck. It was a terrific weekend.

Pics to follow.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: I was in car heaven. K car show on Friday was fun. Club fun.

Postby dodgeariesguy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 pm

I so wish I could have come but the work on my Aries has turned haywire along with life. I haven't had much time for the club so I completely forgot about cancelling. Its been a crazy few weeks and my huge trip has been changed and edited to be a basic straight shot from New York to Las Vegas. I spent $980 buying a new engine since my 2.2 had serious issues and now the car runs fine but I need to have it re-safetied due to the motor swap. I'll try to keep this club up to date on my progress.
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby turbokcar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:56 pm

The car show was fun, but man was it busy, I'll bet you couldn't park a bicycle there. It was good to see the different stages our cars are in, and to hear how we all ended up with them. I t was also fun to watch the people see a K car and walk past only to see SHELBY under the hood and give a second look. One guy came up to me and told me he owned one of the K cars from the movie PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES. We need to do it again, but we need more K cars there.
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Webmaster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:55 pm

turbokcar wrote:The car show was fun, but man was it busy, I'll bet you couldn't park a bicycle there. It was good to see the different stages our cars are in, and to hear how we all ended up with them. I t was also fun to watch the people see a K car and walk past only to see SHELBY under the hood and give a second look. One guy came up to me and told me he owned one of the K cars from the movie PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES. We need to do it again, but we need more K cars there.

Have to go earlier to find parking :lol:
Webmaster
Site Admin

Car Information: Top Secret

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events