How I started this club: K-Car hunting

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

How I started this club: K-Car hunting

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:34 am

Well, it began in February 2007. I made fliers and quite literally over 6 months tagged over 40 K-cars all over the San Fernando Valley. I am such a carnut that I remember just about every one I found and noticed that most of the ones on the streets I found disappeared. I stopped doing that as it was very time consuming and I did not like being noticed. Recently, I attempted the hunting again and tagged two K-cars last night. Ironically, the first K-car in two years to appear in my neighborhood happened to be a Plymouth Caravelle I found last night. I am hoping the owner will respond and then we will have two members in Sylmar, Ca. No response yet. We do have a new member who called me from Hollywood Hills, has been very active in our club in the last month, and he owns a 1982 LeBaron Coupe.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: How I started this club: K-Car hunting

Postby 88 aries » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:40 pm

i do the same thing i go K-car hunting also i know 2 in the town next to me a 1985 Aries and 1988 Reliant, the reliant is forsale for 500 dollars, some old lady has it in her garage.
88 aries

Postby love-a-Lebaron » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Hey,
I have been reading your stories & would like to do the same. We have alot of K cars here in Florida, I see them every were everyday. Lots in really good shape. I take mine to a car show almost every tuesday night, & there is another Lebaron Con there. I have also been told there is another one in the town right next to mine that takes his to car shows too. I really think that the cars of the 80's have a future, the kids who idelized these cars are just coming of age @ there jobs & earning enough money to buy some of the cars that were hot when they were kids. I think the 30 somethings will start looking for these cars, not right now but 10 - 15 years down the road. Convertables, two doors, Turbos, Wagons, will hopfuly lead the way. Remember, the kids who grew up in these's cars are only 25-35. I saw alot of these cars in high school, alot of two doors & conv rolled threw the parking lot. Parents picked these cars up cheap in the mid to late 90's. Alot of my friends & myself have very fond memories of these cars. I fell in love with my frist K car when I was in elemetary school, my moms best friend had a 86 conv cream with camel interior & top. I was only 9 in 88, but I always wanted a car like that. I finly got my wish @ 30 when I found one just like it for sale. There time will come, they are turly sleepers, they have a cool back story how they saved Chyrslar ect... they were fun cars, easy to work on, cheap to get new & used, & if nuthing else they have the kitch factor about them. Dont worry they will come of age again when the kids who drove & remember them come of age & try to buy back there youth.
love-a-Lebaron

Car Information: 1986 Lebaron Con.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Thats great! The K-car interest here in Los Angeles seems to be lacking. Although they exist here, a lot our beat up and only two out of the 40 K cars I tagged joined our club. I tagged one yesterday and the owner said "not interested." It took me two years to build a Los Angeles base of about 13 K-car owners and we are having a show on Friday, February 27th. California is all about "hate" the American 80s cars and lets crush em all. K-cars are still being crushed at an alarming rate over here. We do have a lot of K-car members in Florida. I would be overjoyed if you would take on the title "President of the Chrysler K-Car Club of Florida" and I will forward you all the contacts to our Floridians. Being in sunny winter Florida, perhaps you could organize shows. Also, 1 out of 13 1983 Chrysler Executive Limos ever made is up for sale right now in Ocala. That would make you are 2nd official state club chapter. We do have a Chrysler K-Car Club of Wisconsin in the works.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby mozartpc27 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 am

Interesting. I live in Philadelphia, and K cars are quite common here still - probably because there are lot of working class people here (like myself) who don't mind driving older second hand cars and who couldn't afford anything fancier anyway. I won't say I see a whole lot of K cars that are in pristine condition - mostly they look very driven, because they are utilitarian for the people who own them. I try to keep mine in above-average condition, but that's all I can afford myself.
mozartpc27

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler LeBaron

Postby RichG » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:34 pm

One of the reasons I like the K-car is ease of repair. While parts are not plentiful, most are simple to install and you don't need a MBA in Technical Engineering to diagnose problems as you would a 92 or better vehicle. The 80-88 model years (across all manufacturers) were probably the last vehicles where Joe Mechanic could still get under the hood an DO something without a $40,000 electronic diagnostic terminal.
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby 88 aries » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:36 pm

mine are way above all of the others, my engine compartment in both of mine are clean and neat you will see no oil nor any dirt on the firewall there is no dirt anywhere, the undercarrage is fully detailed to above showroom condition.
88 aries

Postby ReliantLV » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:07 pm

[quote="89ARIES"]California is all about "hate" the American 80s cars and lets crush em all.[/quote]

What do Californians favour, then? (just curious)

I'm going to start a new thread in the Member section, how I'm curious how long everyone has been 'into' K-cars!
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events