Alan the K needs $750 of work.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Alan the K needs $750 of work.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm

According to the family mechanic that is. I only go to him now for oil changes:

1. 1988 Original front struts have worn out. $350
2. 1988 Brake booster is wearing out. $250
3. 1988 Rear crossmember support bar seperated. Hence the rattling noise since 2007. $150 to re-weld.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Alan the K needs $750 of work.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:31 pm

89ARIES wrote:According to the family mechanic that is. I only go to him now for oil changes:

1988 Rear crossmember support bar seperated. Hence the rattling noise since 2007. $150 to re-weld.

You should at least be doing the oil change yourself if nothing else. You can probably get a good replacement support bar in a u-pull it junkyard for about $15. If its the part that I think it is, the same part is common to lots of other Mopars up into the mid 90's. New rear traction bars are still available from RockAuto for about $50. Rebuilt brake boosters are available from RockAuto for about $75. You can still get NOS master cylinders cheaply (probably $50 of less online). Struts about $50 ea.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 am

Boosters don't wear out, they go bad. Is is leaking vacuum (Making a hissing noise)?

Is the front end bouncy? If you bounce the front end up and down with your knee on the bumper how many times does it bounce up and down before leveling out? Does it hop around when you hit bumps, especially turning corners?
MyDodgeDip

Postby Butch » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:06 am

http://www.pickyourpart.com/pricing/ Bring some cash Saturday.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Guy,

Sounds like Butch may be offering to help you out a little on Saturday. Oil changes would be a good place to start your mechanical career. K's are the simplest cars i've ever seen to do an oil change on. The front struts are not a great job for a new mechanic but, someone could show you how to do it. The brake booster is a fairly simple bolt on job, if its really bad.

The thing is an old car will bankrupt you if you have to pay someone to do all the work. Come to think of it so will a new one today. It would really help Alan to stay on the road if you begin to do some of the easier jobs yourself. None of us were born mechanics, we all learned.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes, Butch and I are heading Saturday down to the yard to pick up a wiring harness. Also, I may have discovered what Butch was telling me all along. I found some mangled, partly severed wires near the oxygen sensor. One of them may be a ground. Yes, the brake is making a hissing sound. The car doesn't seem particulary bouncy, just bumpy on the freeway. I will push up and down on the bumper.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:59 pm

OK, then the booster is Bad, not wearing out :lol: . A large vacuum leak like that can cause a lot of problems as well. Between the wiring and the vacuum leak it may straighten it's self out.
MyDodgeDip

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events