Rare classic daily drivers lately.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Rare classic daily drivers lately.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Maybe a depression does put some old cars back in the road. Remarkable rare sightings in the last few days, some of which will blow your mind.

TWO DAYS AGO, 1 DAY ALONE! On US 101 westbound in Sherman Oaks, following each other:

1977 Chevy Caprice 4dr Sedan
1975 Chevy Malibu Coupe
1982 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4dr Sedan.

Then, just I get off the freeway;
1984 Buick LeSabre 4dr Sedan AND
1977 Buick Riviera 2dr Boxbody Sedan driving together!

And later that night when I got home, driving:
IMMACULATE FULLY NEW MINT LOOKING 1984 PONTIAC SUNBIRD SAFARI STATIONWAGON!

And last night:
1978 Mustang II Coupe driving alongside me on the freeway.

And, I am seeing more 80s Lincolntown cars than anything else.

A huge 1976 Ford Gran Torino 4dr Sedan was lumbering south near my office today!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Rare classic daily drivers lately.

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 pm

Mustang II what a joke...2.3 liter 4 cylinder...garbage...as well as the pinto...
88 aries

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Nothing wrong with the 2.3 other than the fact that it comes in a Ford. They were pretty good little motors.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Baron » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:05 am

My wife owned a Pinto when we got married. It was one of the first ones before they started putting all the smog junk on it and the heavy "safety" bumpers. Plus it had the optional, larger engine. It was a blast to drive. We bought a 76 Mustang II Coupe brand new off the lot and, yep, it had the 2.3. It was gutless - couldn't pull itself out of a wet paper bag. We didn't own it very long before I got rid of it in disgust - it was a good car, but couldn't move it's own shadow. Ended up with a 78 Chrysler LeBaron that was a great car - had a 318 V8 that got better gas mileage than the 2.3 in the Mustang, even though the Chrysler was a bigger car. It had the power and comfort I needed as well as being a good-looking car, I've been with Mopar ever since.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby nszotovich » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:17 am

The Mustang II was woefully underpowered. But it was a sound car, Reliable for its time. the V-6 was an improvement , but the Fox body was already in the works and worked better for Mustangs image. Pinto was a good car that is much maligned because of a $2 part Ford's bean counters left off to save money. This is something large corporations do all the time and it always comes back to bite them in the ass. Not always financially. but more often reputation-wise.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:45 pm

By the time the 2.3 got fuel injection it was a decent little motor. My father had a 90 mustang lx with a 2.3 that had like 235K on it. Got over 20 MPG on long highway trips. Not bad for a RWD car with 2 big guys in it.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Baron » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Yeah, other than being under powered I really had no complaints about the car. The fuel injection sounds like it would have been a definite help. I usually got around 23 mpgs on the highway with it, but the LeBaron I replaced it with that had the 318 easily got the same and even higher - I could get 25 mpgs on the highway going 65 - 70 with the air conditioning on. The Mustang couldn't even pull the air conditioning. No comparison, I'm afraid.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby MyDodgeDip » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I never did that good with a 318. :lol: Always 12-17 except for one fifth avenue that got 25 on the highway and 17 around town. They must have done better brand new and before gas went downhill...
MyDodgeDip

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events