Why I won't give up on Alan.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Why I won't give up on Alan.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm

1. I still believe its a good reliable car minus issues known one seems to be able to fix.
2. Its my first car.
3. Its one of the rarest Ks out there.
4. Its the only car I am familiar with and have an idea of how to to work on it.
5. I love the styling and comfort.
6. Its the car that started the club.

I have a lot of emotional and perhaps irrational reasons for not being able to get rid of this car. I would be depressed for a week if it suddenly got totaled today. I feel like
to give up the car would mean the end of my ownership of any old 80s car whatsoever. Of course if the tranny and engine blew up tommorrow, I would probably put the
car up on jacks and just drive a Toyota into the ground.

I also still keep hope that I can weed out all these issues, make a maintenance checklist, and not get slammed by surprises.

I hope my posts aren't discouraging other car owners. In all honesty, the only reason my car has had so many problems is because so many
mechanics, none here by the way. have f""" with this car over the years and we have discovered a lot of hatchet shortcuts. This car has a history
of part throwers.

Also, my friend Bill works on these and it isn't always easy with OBDI to really know whats wrong. OBDII is said to be much better. These cars are EXTREMELY sensitive and one
little bs thing can derail the efficiency of the motor. The computer controls everything, which I think is stupid, but it does make it interesting and I wish to learn more.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Why I won't give up on Alan.

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 pm

One of the Rarest? umm...Guy? I don't think so...Rare is opposed to my 1981 Reliant, or a car with a 4 speed or 5 speed manual, or how about a first gen lebaron with stick shift? And yes I have seen one before in a junkyard.. sure the coupe is worth slighty more money but the current value of your car is less than 1,000 due to many problems... So to define rare for example take my 1981 1/2 Reliant, It is a 1/2 model year, during that half model year only they offered the 4 door in basic form, after that time frame all you could get was a base in custom trim...
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:35 pm

They only made 3,200 of mine, and 89 was the last year for the coupe. I have only seen one for sale besides mine here in California. That 89 Reliant Coupe we had
at our last show parked next to mine was a rare combo. 8-) One thing I can say, I may not be good at pampering my car, but I drive it more than most people. Put 18,000
on it last year.
89ARIES

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Doesn't matter manual shift cars and early ones are more rarer....
88 aries

Postby Dodge Aries K » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:28 am

89 was the last year for the K body in general.
Dodge Aries K

Postby Butch » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 am

89ARIES wrote:1. I wish to learn more.

It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to teach you anything. Hemi Anderson once told me he could teach a 5 yr old how to change oil but couldn't teach you how. How many yrs did it take you to follow my advice about replacing some bad wires that FIXED your check eng. light ? I get REALLY tired of hearing about no one knowing how to fix your car when you continue to take it to Joe Blow mechanic thats don't give a rats ass about ANY Mopar let alone a K car. You've met many guys that can rebuild your car from bumper to bumper so quit bitching about EVIL mechanics and think about taking advice that was given to you. How many time was my scanner hooked up on your car for free when Joe blow would have charged you at least $65 each time ? The last time it showed that the eng. management sys. is working correctly. The next you want to throw away a $1k on repairs, throw it my way.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Butch wrote:
89ARIES wrote:1. I wish to learn more.

It's literally IMPOSSIBLE to teach you anything. Hemi Anderson once told me he could teach a 5 yr old how to change oil but couldn't teach you how. How many yrs did it take you to follow my advice about replacing some bad wires that FIXED your check eng. light ? I get REALLY tired of hearing about no one knowing how to fix your car when you continue to take it to Joe Blow mechanic thats don't give a rats ass about ANY Mopar let alone a K car. You've met many guys that can rebuild your car from bumper to bumper so quit bitching about EVIL mechanics and think about taking advice that was given to you. How many time was my scanner hooked up on your car for free when Joe blow would have charged you at least $65 each time ? The last time it showed that the eng. management sys. is working correctly. The next you want to throw away a $1k on repairs, throw it my way.

I second everything Butch said 100%.
MyDodgeDip

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm

I tripple butch and mydodgedip
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Here we go all over again. I never follow advice because I am too busy to risk working on my car with no mechanical ability or tools. I have taken Butch's advice. My problems right now are all suspension. I already know my computer is fine. I wonder why the car has fuel issues, hum? I don't have the first clue or tools about diagnosing. If you want to continue this rag on Guy discussion, I suggest you send me an email and take it offline as this is a public forum.
89ARIES

Postby 88 aries » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:19 pm

ok so how hard is it to go out and buy a haynes manual for the car and study the thing? Hell my girlfriend knows how to change her own oil as well as brake pads...(not bad for a female eh guys?) maybe spend a little money on basic tools, instead of sitting on a computer half the time... We didn't have the knowledge when we started out...it comes by reading and studying and tinkering... I was lucky to be around and helping my dad on our K's back in the 90's...but if you don't have that luck, you can always purchase books and teach yourself... by now its totally unsafe to drive...I guess its just going to take an accident to get through to you...sorry to say...
88 aries

Next

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events