Dumb question. What will happen? Front struts broken.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Dumb question. What will happen? Front struts broken.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Steering is fine, but car is bouncing and slamming quite a lot. How long can I keep driving the car with worn front struts before the wheels
fall off like in the movies. My family mechanic just did the inner tie rod. What type of stress am I subjecting the car to? I wanna see if I can just
drive as is until May to get some more money. I wonder if I should hit up my family mechanic for a partial refund.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Dumb question. What will happen? Front struts broken.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 pm

You are probably causing premature wear to the ball joints and front end bushing among other things. Its not great for your CV joints either. Not quite sure what "slamming" means. Not sure why you think you are entitled to a partial refund? Becasue the mechanic did not diagnose in advance that the front struts were shot? Didn't you notice that the car was bouncing? With a high mileage car I would not be suprised if you need additional front end work in addition to the struts, like a ball joint or some new bushings.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 am

It only started really getting bouncy in the last few weeks. Nothing like this before. The family mechanic said the front bushings and everything else should still be good for the moment.
89ARIES

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:59 am

Does this mean I would be replaceing the front struts for nothing with my buddy? Is EVERYTHING SHOT! I never rammed spped bumps. I only thought a partial refund because of the belt. It is what it is. I am not going to complain about it.
89ARIES

Postby Pete in NH » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

I agree with K Car Wagon, at almost 200K I'm sure other front end parts such as ball joints and bushings are at the end of there useful life. Front ends are nothing to play around with. If something that is old and worn breaks on thre highway at speed, the loss of control of the vehicle can get you or others hurt or killed.
I replaced the front struts in my 84 Aries at around 134K and the all the bushings shortly thereafter. The ball joints went the life of the car, but then they got a squirt of grease at every oil change. If the ball joints have not been regularly lubricated I'd pretty much bet they're worn out. That bouncing front end will surely pound them to death.

You can't drive any car forever without proper maintenance and get away with it but especially a 22 year-old one. The suggestion to buy a Haynes manual and start reading was a good one. None of us was born knowing how to work on cars we all learned along the way.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby MyDodgeDip » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Since all the explaining in the world doesn't seem to get through...

It is not safe to drive. Fix it or park it.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Baron » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:08 pm

MyDodgeDip wrote:Since all the explaining in the world doesn't seem to get through...

It is not safe to drive. Fix it or park it.

AMEN! I would not want to know you were on the road with that ticking time bomb in my area of the world, much less any other area. At your mileage your whole front end probably needs to be rebuilt or replaced. And judging by the history I've watched between you two, why do you believe anything your mechanic tells you anyway?
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events