Alan the K-car. ENGINE PROBLEM.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Alan the K-car. ENGINE PROBLEM.

Postby 89ARIES » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Well, we did a compression test. Devastating news. 145,110,125,145. I took damn good care of this car, and I am very upset. I only got 130,000 out of the valves when the head
gasket was replaced at 66,000. Ironically, I haven't noticed any lack of power and can still do 80 uphill. So, now I am going to have to save my money for a new car or rebuild the K engine
later this year. I am being qouted $1200-1600 for the rebuild job. To be frank, I am p""ssed off that despite oil changes, $1000s in wasted diagnosis fees, and free help from CKCC members, the
damn top end on these cars can't go 300,000. They can only go 130,000-160,000. Don't know how much time my car has left, but it probably won't pass smog in November. It should
be able to get me through 2012. Now, Butch and others, feel free to rag on me all you want, but these cars are f""n hard to work on for most people and not being a mechanic puts one at
a serious disadvantage. Even Bill who worked with me with this car says you are forced to throw parts at it as any f"'n vacuum leak, wire, or electronic thing throws everything off. Wasting
the $90 yesterday for a new fuel injector may have solved my startup issue, but it still doesn't idle smooth. The car never has despite $1000s of dollars. I am also very upset because my family
business has told me to put the car aside as a hobby car, that I need to get a 2000 something Toyota. They are conviced because of all the wasted trips to the mechanic and electrical b"'shit I went through, the car is a lemon.Please don't rag on me about how I shouldn't own a K-car cause I am not a mechanic, and how I drive all of you crazy complaining about my car. Just tell me why this happened and how much
life I should have gotten out of the engine. I think I will get an early 90s 50mpg GEO METRO. I could try Marvel Mystery Oil for the failed engine for now. :shock: :x :cry:
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Alan the K-car. ENGINE PROBLEM.

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm

89ARIES wrote: Devastating news. 145,110,125,145. :

These numbers are not devastating.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Baron » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 am

Who told you those were bad numbers? Have you even checked to see what they are coming out of the factory? I had a 318 that new out of the factory runs somewhere around 140-160 (if I remember correctly), when I tested it at 100,000 it had numbers similar to yours and they were considered good numbers for as many miles as the engine had on it. They aren't expected to maintain factory new numbers. I still think someone is playing you for a sucker.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby MyDodgeDip » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 am

It's far from blown up/dead. I'd be more concerned with all the other problems with the car. Fix the safety issues. I'll repeat that again: FIX THE SAFETY ISSUES. Once it is safe to drive, do so until the motor goes bad and then replace it. This is all assuming you want to continue throwing more and more money at a car not economical to fix.
MyDodgeDip

Postby 88 aries » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 am

Its worn for sure but not completely worn out.. My 2.5 has about 137,000 on it estimated, installed the engine at 116,000 miles..My aries is on its 3rd engine, all were 2.5's The first one was replaced (unknown) with another 2.5 that blew up (purchased it that way) and then the current 2.5 from the junkyard... Smokes a little on start up..But since I don't drive it like manic, it will give me many more years of service as an enjoyment car. The 2.2 we had that has 375,000 on it ran like a charm and did not use any oil..When my dad worked for the school district they had an 87 Reliant 2.2 that lasted until 273,000 miles it lost compression ( busted ring ?) it would only run on 3 cylinders and then it would stall at stop lights. It saw the bone yard in 2001. The car had seen a lot of uphill driving and I know how 2.2's are when going up hill..They love to downshift and work very hard. My 86 can climb without down shifting.. All depends on the miles and repair history...
88 aries

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:07 am

Well, maybe two headgaskets weakened cylinder 2 and 3. Maybe my exhaust valve is burned and thats why compression is so low in one of them. Maybe the compression improves
and is less variable once warmed up? Maybe 200,000 original miles isn't that bad. I wonder if I could get another 50,000 out of it. Yes, I know I acted like the sky was falling. I wanted to believe these engines were bulletproof. I wonder how long I can nurse this car along. I'll make it last to 300,000 even if I get down to 10 psi. I am going to totally switch to a high mileage fully synthetic oil and add a marvel mystery oil quart. I am still going to get this car tested. I bet the mechanic thinks I am an idiot.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby 88 aries » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 am

now your just talking foolish again...10 PSI? The thing will not even run at that rate. Heres one tip why our old 86 made that mileage..She may have been rusty but, it always got proper care..oil changes tires all the things that go wrong with a then 19 year old car.. It got the needle pegged a couple of times on a flat stretch of road..but not as often as yours does going down a 405 at 95-100 MPH... So basically its kinda your fault on how Alan has ended up... High RPM, Neglected underpinnings, a washed up mechanic that screws you out of your money..For a sucker born every minute they will take you for all you got. And those mechanics just see you a coming, office type guy, no car knowledge, they say hmm...I think I will charge him big bucks and do little work.. A 2000's toyota would not be bad for you at all....Whats wrong with putting the K on the side for a hobby car? I mean whats there to prove? I have already proved that a K-car can go 300,000 miles... I also have proved that a 92 Buick Lesabre can go 391,000 miles.... and another buick heading for that number as well, an 89 with 235,000 miles... a 96 Corsica on its way to 200,000 miles... and way back in 1991 a 1972 Mercury with 200,000 miles...

What is the difference you ask guy? Its easy 4 speed automatic (minus merc) allows lower RPM's, shucks I can be doing 80 on the interstate and im still cruising along at about 2700 with my V6 3100.. apposed to a K-car which would be running 3500-4000 at that speed..

5 speed K's actually run a little lower due to the 5th gear overdrive...
88 aries

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events