Important Question: RISK AND RIGHT WAY. 3RD PARTY SELLER/NEG

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Important Question: RISK AND RIGHT WAY. 3RD PARTY SELLER/NEG

Postby 89ARIES » Fri May 18, 2012 3:49 am

Folks,

I have a very rare opportunity to possible pick up a purchased K-car in Los Angeles and drive it up to San Francisco to a club member. Of course, for me that would be a lot of fun, as long as the car
doesn't overheat or leave me stranded out in the middle. Nothing has been confirmed, but already the wheels are turning in my head. I fully realize most of these 25 year old cars
barely run, or are questionable if they have been sitting. If the car was low mileage, actually driven, and had good compression, I would be less hesitant, but still a little wary.
What I could really use folks is some legal advice and how it works in California. I have never actually bought a car before, and I am not sure what paperwork is involved.

1. How does it work. Buyer in the club wires me $1000 should that person choose to buy the car I check out. What paperwork should be signed transfering title
from buyer to seller? If I am to drive the car up north and guard it for 3-4 weeks before delivering it, is there some DMV paperwork I would need to sign as a 3rd party?
2. The car might end up sitting in front of my house for a couple weeks. I would be extremely careful and only drive it a short distance each weekend to make sure it is
running and ready for the plunge. I would check oil and coolant before departing.
3. I do have Triple A with 150 mile each way tow.

Thoughts? A lot of risks involved, and perhaps stupid on my part, but if i find a perfect car, I might be willing to take the plunge. I trust the buyer. My boss is adamantly against it.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Important Question: RISK AND RIGHT WAY. 3RD PARTY SELLER

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri May 18, 2012 3:31 pm

89ARIES wrote:
My boss is adamantly against it.

Your boss makes alot of sense. Since the buyer and the seller are both in California, there is no reason why the buyer and seller should not be acting directly with one another regarding payment, title transfer and insurance. You are just asking for trouble if you try to be an intermediary.

If the buyer has already purchased the car and it has fully insured, an it is legal and safe to be driven on the road and just wants you to drive it up for him that is another thing.

However, most used old cars need a going over before being ready to go on a long trip.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Re: Important Question: RISK AND RIGHT WAY. 3RD PARTY SELLER

Postby 89ARIES » Fri May 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Yes. My intention is not to be an intermediary, but a driver.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events