Alan is almost ready to drive 900 miles.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Alan is almost ready to drive 900 miles.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:36 am

For the benefit of all, I am driving up to Sacramento on Friday for our first K-car meet up there. Wish me a safe journey. Pics will be following. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Alan is almost ready to drive 900 miles.

Postby dodgeariesguy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:37 am

Safe journey to you two, make sure to bring extra oil, trans. fluid, 50/50 Coolant/Water mix, and a roll of electrical tape and knife and duct tape. When taking such a long trip in a older car it is a good fail safe. Personally I bring a whole tool box and a bevy of fluids and a small 12V compressor, not only for myself but others who may get stranded. But that small list would be good for you to bring. If your car has problems pull him to the nearest safe spot and call for assistance if you can't solve it yourself. If you need to feel free to text message me (PM me I'll give you my #) and even if I'm at work I'll try to help. This offer extend to anyone else taking a road trip, PM me and I'll give you a number, the last thing we want is club members left to the mercy of AAA or CAA who can take hours. Good luck Guy, more importantly have fun, be safe, and have another great meetup with our members.

Will
Admin
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:51 am

Thanks Will. Much appreciated. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I would add to that list spare belts, spare hoses, hose clamps, a battery jumper pack, jumper cables, some electrical wire, some metal wire coat hangers, a contianer of brake fluid and a container of power steering fluid.

Good luck!
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 am

I've switched all my cars power steering to ATF (+4 in the K, Dex in the Sunfire) through techinical training I learned it supports the seals longer and causes less rubber/ metal breakdown.
dodgeariesguy

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:26 pm

dodgeariesguy wrote:I've switched all my cars power steering to ATF (+4 in the K.)

I read somwhere that you should only put ATF+4 if you do a complete fluid replacement, and that ATF+4 is incompatible with the older Mopar P/S fluids. And to never top off an old Mopar system (that did not originally come with ATF+4) with ATF+4. Is that you understanding? Is ATF+4 recommended in the old Mopar RWD P/S gearbox type steering systems from the 60-80's as a switchover replacement type fluid or only in rack and pinion type units?

Also, no concern about friction modifiers in a ATF type fluid to make the clutches grab? Some people have run ATF type fluids in Citroen hydraulic systems - but the experience has been the additives (usually for friction) in an auto trans fluid tend to slowly destroy the very tight tolerances in a Citroen rack and pinion designed to run on hydraulic fluid like LHM (very similar to the hydraulic fluid used on aircraft systems). Maybe this is not the case with the newer ATF+4 or Chrysler units don't have such tight tolerances to start with.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Yes these are complete swaps I do, the older K-Car P/S systems (My experience is with 85-89 units) are a very similar internal pump to the 1996-2000 Caravan units which use a remote reservoir as the main difference run from factory ATF+ fluid. I'd say its more a personal preference as to what you want to do but the friction modifier seem to have no effect on a vane style pump as the tolerances in North American pumps are fairly large. But no in every car that I have run ATF in place of P/S have suffered no ill effects 2 older GM's it even slowed the leaky P/S cooler lines enough that they stopped forming drips all together. Just my 2 cents you guys with more experience may know better though, always looking to learn :)
dodgeariesguy

Postby Butch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:01 am

The factory uses ATF from the get go. :roll:
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby dodgeariesguy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:39 am

Well then, I suppose its a good thing I switched all of these cars back :lol:
dodgeariesguy

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events