Save member's 83 LeBaron K-car from junkyard. Last Chance.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Save member's 83 LeBaron K-car from junkyard. Last Chance.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 pm

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ct ... 55046.html

https://plus.google.com/photos/10668291 ... 8001817233

I am trying to turn a disaster into a triumph and hope that some creative person, with a touch of nostalgia, will step up to the plate.

Below are photos of a 1983 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. It has the "Mark Cross" interior. This was the first convertible sold in the United States after 10 years of "No Convertibles", and it was a BIG deal.

These cars are rare, and each of them is destined to become valuable collector cars very soon. Right now, "K-Cars" are "affordable" collectors, this one can be purchased for $800.

Here is the story. The former owner overheated the engine. Something is wrong, either a blown head gasket, possibly a stuck valve. He lives in San Francisco, had driven the car to southern California to visit family when a coolant leak developed and the car overheated.

Like many of us, he is having financial problems, so he just decided to give up the car. All of us in the K-Car Club begged him not to do anything without consulting us, but he did anyway. He sold the car to "Pick U Part for $250. Today the president of our club and myself went out to Pick U Part and talked to Juan, the general manager. He says he has money tied up in it, etc, and can't sell the car back for less than $800.

We have a week to come up with a buyer, or this beautiful car is going to be crushed because of a head gasket or a valve job.

The repair can probably be done for around $1,000. The car needs other minor stuff, but has good tires, and less than 60,000 original miles. Oddly enough, when we checked the oil, it appeared to not have
any coolant mixed up in it.

Lastly, these cars are very safe and once repaired, extremely reliable. They also get around 20 MPG in the city, around 28 on the highway (if you keep them under 65 MPH, which is hard to do). It uses regular gas.

This one has the premium engine, a 2.6 liter Mitsubishi built engine. My parents had it in the K-Car they had, and my nephew had a car like this, but dark brown that he drove for almost 3 years with no problems once he had the head gasket done (he also drove his with no coolant in it). This would be a stylish "first car" for a young person. It would also be a great "second/fun" car for a family or a single person who has a more utility car and want's something to tool around in on perfect days.

My own LeBaron convertible was also a "rescue" that was headed for the crusher when I got it.

PLEASE consider buying this very fun car, even if you can't repair it right away. It can be stored as "Non Operational" until you're ready to bring it back to life. You won't regret it. These are front wheel drive cars, very stable, safe, economical and comfortable.

Contact me, Ed Garren, if you want more information or are interested in saving this piece of history from the crusher, or contact our Club President Guy V.Coulombe. You can respond to this ad via email or call us at 818-219-2587 or 213-453-3040. Thankyou.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Save member's 83 LeBaron K-car from junkyard. Last Chanc

Postby classicfan1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:33 am

PLEASE tell me somebody saved this!! :|
classicfan1

Car Information: 1998 Dodge Stratus

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 am

It is a miracle, but this car was SAVED in July 2013 from the junkyard. Ed and I got it out for $800 bucks paid by Juan. The car now resides in Chula Vista, Ca. near the
Mexican Border and Juan is rebuilding the engine. Juan drove 120 miles each way with a pick-up-truck and we loaded the car into the flatbed. 8-)
89ARIES

Postby classicfan1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Praise the good Lord Almighty! This had a better outcome than a circa 1985 Charger 2.2 at a local junkyard. Our K-Cars typically don't last once they die. The reason is because unlike the old days when your '57 Chevy died and it got parked in a yard and sunk in the dirt for 40 years, by the time our K-cars started to die (heck even when they were built!) those days were numbered. Local government and zoning changes, strict new EPA regulations, and HOA's (Home Owners Associations) brought about very modern high turn-over yards were cars last 3 months at best in the yard and they are rarely sold complete. Like I said in an earlier post, the Shelby Streefighter Rampage Prototype was destroyed just last year in a California junkyard and if it weren't for red tape, it could have survived and been restored.

The 2.2 was one of at least 4 classic to be crushed. This yard is older and still does things the old way. I stripped out a '72 Mercury Montego GT, a '54 Chevy Bel-Air, nabbed some things off a '65 Bel-Air, and I ran out of time. That Charger was 85% complete and all I got was the nose, kicking myself ever since. There was an '86-'88 Labaron sedan that bit the dust as well...I'm only one guy with so much money, time, and space.
classicfan1

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 pm

This is why I am so pissed off at California CARB, and it was because I haggled the junkyard that we pulled off our miracle. The convertible sat in the middle of a speedway for forklifts. I was able to persuade the junkyard to move the car. The minimum amount to get any car out over here is 800 BUCKS. California destroyed all the rare early K-car hardtops to the point where we lost the last 400 sedan I tried to save. :cry:
89ARIES

Postby classicfan1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm

There's a viedo on youtube of a MASSIVE K-Car treasure trove. Chargers, Lancers, all the Reliants and Aires you can dream of. LeBarons, 400s and 600s, Caravelles, and more. I would think somebody who lived near the palce could have afeild day pulling parts and buying restorable cars. IMO there has to be more sedans and coupes. Tucked away in barns or a field somewhere. Hell, maybe that junkyard I mentioned has a few.
classicfan1

Postby classicfan1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:23 pm

There was a 400 or 600 sedan listed here on the local CL around June or July this past summer. It was a running, driveable car at a used car dealership. They had $2500 on it, maybe less. It sold in about two weeks I think.
classicfan1

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events