Possible blown 85 Reliant.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Possible blown 85 Reliant.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:28 am

Okay folks, well, I visited the young lady in Canoga Park, California last night with the 1985 Plymouth Reliant Coupe 2.2 Carb that she says won't start. She said it overheated it back in November. It only has 50,000 miles on the body. This car was an award winning car in the club back in 2010 when it got sold out of the club. She really wants to save it and participate with us. No idea if it can be saved, but we'll try. We don't really know what is wrong yet. I am shopping our resources in the club this week. And of course, for my blown car as well. Here is the video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=59 ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=59 ... =3&theater
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Possible blown 85 Reliant.

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Guy,

There's good chance the head gasket is gone. It's too bad the car was driven for an extended time after it started to loose coolant. That really really risks futher engine damage. Even if the coolant is not getting into the oil, if it gets into the cylinders it does not do the engine any good.

To check why it isn't starting- Engines need two things to run, fuel and a spark at the right time. It sounds like you have fuel if you smell gas. To check for a spark pull the High voltage wire from the coil on the fender well to the distributor at the distributor end and hold it about an 1/8 inch from the engine block. You should see a spark when cranking the engine. If not next remove the distributor cap , crank the engine and see if the rotor in the distributor is turning. If it is not turning the timing belt is broken. If it is turning put the cap back on. If it's turning but no spark it will take some more troubleshooting to see what may be wrong. But, start with these steps first and report back.

It's s shame to loose such a nice car. But, I suspect it's going to need a least a headgasket. Even if it does eventually start I would not run it until the head gasket issue is attended to. Coolant in the cylinders is not a good lubricant.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Re: Possible blown 85 Reliant.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:44 am

Hello Pete,

I first want to thank-you for all the good work you do on the old forum, and for the advice
you have been giving people. Could I please have your phone number so we can connect and meet telephonic-ally?
You could email it to me at aries89@chryslerkcar.com. I just tried to email you, but apparently I must have it misspelled.

Sincerely,
Guy V.Coulombe
CKCC President
818-219-2587
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events