How to work with other people

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Postby technobabble » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:14 am

I would highly advise against setting up a few dummy accounts, as it's not worth your time. Any site/forum with that many members is bound to have code and procedure in place for detecting duplicate accounts, and they are specifically prohibited in their terms of service anyway. I know the guy that runs the forums at Allpar. He's been running online forums for 10 years. He doesn't put up with much, but he tries to be as fair and impartial as possible. As do most of the volunteer staff over there. But they do have a set of rules to follow, and will act on them as the situation requires.

What you folks need to do here is concentrate on trying to make this a true and valid resource for the K-Cars. It was because of the folks and the goodwill at Allpar that this place got started, now it's your time to try and take it to the next level. "Stealing" members from Allpar isn't the way to do it, as that will only serve to drive the wedge even deeper.

You have a forum here...and that's it. You need to work on offering more to your current and potential future users. Consider this: go to Google. Type "chrysler k-car" and search. This site is the NUMBER TWO link that pops up. Wikipedia is #1. Allpar is number 3, after "image results" and "video results." So you already have an edge there. But since there is only a forum and no other resources, folks have no reason to stay. You need to give them a reason.

Take the "anti-Allpar" effort and put it towards making this place worth coming to. The end result will be much more rewarding.
technobabble

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Caravelle

Re: How to work with other people

Postby ReliantLV » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:23 am

+ 10 000
I agree wholeheartedly.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Postby LebaronVert86 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:53 pm

[quote="technobabble"]I would highly advise against setting up a few dummy accounts, as it's not worth your time. Any site/forum with that many members is bound to have code and procedure in place for detecting duplicate accounts, and they are specifically prohibited in their terms of service anyway. I know the guy that runs the forums at Allpar. He's been running online forums for 10 years. He doesn't put up with much, but he tries to be as fair and impartial as possible. As do most of the volunteer staff over there. But they do have a set of rules to follow, and will act on them as the situation requires.

What you folks need to do here is concentrate on trying to make this a true and valid resource for the K-Cars. It was because of the folks and the goodwill at Allpar that this place got started, now it's your time to try and take it to the next level. "Stealing" members from Allpar isn't the way to do it, as that will only serve to drive the wedge even deeper.

You have a forum here...and that's it. You need to work on offering more to your current and potential future users. Consider this: go to Google. Type "chrysler k-car" and search. This site is the NUMBER TWO link that pops up. Wikipedia is #1. Allpar is number 3, after "image results" and "video results." So you already have an edge there. But since there is only a forum and no other resources, folks have no reason to stay. You need to give them a reason.

Take the "anti-Allpar" effort and put it towards making this place worth coming to. The end result will be much more rewarding.[/quote]

WOW the voice of reason. Folks should work together and not against each other. What is this business of 'I hate them'? This is a big world and while we like our little cars let's face it, there are bigger problems to deal with. This busniess of 'I hate them' and they are the enemy is a HUGE turn off. As a new member I'm not sure I even want to hang around here.

I have to agree with technobabble here. This business of trying to take members is so silly. Every board has their rules and with a group as big as Allpar there must be many moderators. I don't guess things are done without discussion or that place would simply fall apart. What with everyone doing whatever they wanted.

I was hoping to find a group who wanted to work to improve things and not tear them down. I'll see what more efforts are spent in this pissing contest to see if I even want to stay.

John
1986 Lebaron Convertible
LebaronVert86

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events