Washington D.C: The last US city with 1980s Taxis?

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Washington D.C: The last US city with 1980s Taxis?

Postby 89ARIES » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:16 am

Hey guys, you won't believe this! I went to Flickr and saw some current 2009 photos of Washington D.C. The city ironically has not legislated stupid regs that destroyed or eliminate all old taxis everywhere else.
There are still a few 1980s GM and Ford taxis running around the city in regular continous usage for over 20 years. Tijuana, Mexico is the last city in the world with predominately 1980s US taxis. These have gotta be the last two cities on earth where big brother has not wiped out the classic taxi. I know in LA, at least until 2002, there were a scant few 80s Crown Vic taxis, but I haven't seen any since. In 2003, there were pictures taken in Tijuana of hundreds of stationwagon 80s Crown Vic taxis and what not. Since 2004, the numbers are starting to go down and the round jelly beans are starting to become the dominate majority. The major of Tijuana passed a stupid law to try to put the private taxi owners out of business by requiring a mandatory 10 year retirement of the cab and putting in a government run taxi force. The good news is that in true Mexican fashion, the taxi drivers refused to comply and perhaps only 25-30% of the taxis were forced off the road as oppossed to 99-100% of all them in New York City. Long live the 80s automobile.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Washington D.C: The last US city with 1980s Taxis?

Postby Butch » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:10 am

Right on !!!
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events