Our Hobby under siege. US Congress Vehicle Scrappage.

Regarding the Club and other Announcements from the Webmaster

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Our Hobby under siege. US Congress Vehicle Scrappage.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed May 13, 2009 2:31 am

It looks like the US powers that be are going to win. They are drafting the Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program that will effectively ruin the used car aftermarket industry by destroying rarely driven antiques. At least SEMA may be able to make
a compromise with those happy car crushing people. The compromise is that all cars over 25 years old would be exempt from
the program. Thats good. Your K-cars before 1984 will be exempt. I absolutely hate the fact that government is attempting
to pay money it doesn't have to destroy our hobby and continue to hurt the industry in general. No political flames. Just read the article below:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62578
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: Our Hobby under siege. US Congress Vehicle Scrappage.

Postby 89ARIES » Wed May 13, 2009 2:58 am

Not trying to be a catastrophist, but indirectly this ruling affects us all. Yes, K-cars (at the moment) will not qualify for scrappage because our cars get over 18mpg. However, for quick money, more than likely half the owners of the remaining
beautiful gas guzzling Lincoln TownCars and other loved American classics will crush them for easy money. The whole thing
irks me to no end. If you go to EbayUK in Great Britain, there are almost no 1980s cars to be found. That is because their government is a whole lot worse in taxing the people on their cars, crushing them through these programs like our government will be passing, and banning cars over a certain age from being allowed in "green zones" in every major town at the risk of a very heavy fine. The government needs money, so they are pushing their "clean air" agenda to make us give
up our property. It is disguised as voluntary. Soon, it will be mandatory. Think I am kidding. In United Arab Emirates, they put a ban for license renewal on cars over 20 years old. They had to back off on it because the economy was in trouble. Also, don't get me started on the carbon tax that the government is forcing on us that will could cost every American family $3500 a year. It is about to be passed with little opposition. All right, I better stop now. Lets not let this get thread get out of hand. Every government today in most countries has better things to do than take our cars away. What is the world coming to do. With that, I will get off my soapbox and hear what you'll have to say about these "rants" the club president is making.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to General Announcements/Upcoming Events