Info Needed

Questions and comments from non-members

Moderator: 89ARIES

Info Needed

Postby SnakeOilSam » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 pm

My mother just gave me a 1983 Dodge Aries K pretty much mint with 36000 original miles, garage kept and no rust. My mechanic suggests that it has a cam problem. Question? Should I fix it? Does it really need to be fixed at 36000 miles? How much should I expect to pay for such a job?
SnakeOilSam

Re: Info Needed

Postby Chief » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Number one, if you have any 1983 vehicle with only 36K original miles,then YES, by all means you do fix it! That's a very special vehicle you have and the mileage makes it even more spectacular. "You are very lucky to have received this car as a gift!" If don't wish to fix it, there are a lot of people who will buy it 'AS IS' and fix it themselves!

Peace,

Chief
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Found this.....it may help??

A camshaft is commonly used to operate poppet valves in a piston engine. A cylindrical rod is situated in the cylinder block or cylinder head which has oblong lobes or cams which push the intake and exhaust valves. This force is applied on the valve directly or through an intermediate mechanism such as a rocker arm, lifter (cam follower) and push rods are used to press against the valve for movement. Each valve utilizes a spring which will return the valve to its original position (closed) after the force is removed. If a valve spring has broken or a cam lobe has worn down it will cause the engine to misfire and run rough because it causes the engine to lose compression. You might say" wouldn't either of these conditions show up in a compression test?" and the answer is not always. The problem with a compression test is that it is performed at engine cranking speed. If you have a worn camshaft it will show up only when the engine is running. In some conditions a broken valve spring can effect different aspects for example: If just one coil of spring breaks off, the spring can still close the valve but only at low RPM's, causing a high RPM engine misfire if the spring breaks somewhere in the middle it will affect both idle and power conditions. To test for this condition, remove ignition coil connector or ignition system or fuel pump fuse to disable power to the ignition or fuel system. Remove the valve covers to gain access to visually inspect the valve train. Have a helper crank the engine over while you watch the rocker arms or cam lobes, make sure they are all going up and down the same amount, if one or more lobes are traveling less than the others you have a flattened cam lob and the camshaft needs to be replaced. Inspect the condition of the valve springs, use a flashlight and small mirror to aid in the inspection. If a broken valve spring is discovered it will need to be replaced to correct the problem.
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Butch » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:16 am

It totally amazes me all these old cars with really low miles on them although the odometer ONLY has 5 digits. In other words, it wouldn't show if it has over 100k mi. on them. A cam problem with only 36K ? What eng. does it have ?
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Thats what I was thinking Butch!! Cams usually wear out from use, and with only 36,000 miles it didn't get much "use'!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby Silverbeard » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:23 am

I would be getting a second opinion from another mechanic who might know something about these engines.
Maybe elaborate on the problems you are having or symptoms and see if anyone on the forum has seen or heard of the problems.
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby SnakeOilSam » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:22 am

I really appreciate the input on this question folks. To Butch and others, I assure you that it is 36000 ORIGINAL miles. The car was my fathers. I was with him when he bought it. But he had several other cars which he drove more than the K.

It is making an internal noise (rattle) and lacks full power especially on steep inclines. It runs really rough at cold start up. The engine runs smooth after running several minutes and after idle kicks down. I do trust my mechanic. I have used him for a number of years. If he says it has a bad cam then it has a bad cam in my opinion.

My concern right now is this. If I drive it as is, do I risk a far more expensive fix such as blowing a hole it a cylinder or something like that. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
SnakeOilSam

Postby turbokcar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Is it a 2.6 POS or a 2.2, or a 2.5?
turbokcar
Mechanic

Car Information: '86 Chrysler Lebaron Convertable turbo

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:35 pm

SnakeOilSam wrote:I really appreciate the input on this question folks. To Butch and others, I assure you that it is 36000 ORIGINAL miles. The car was my fathers. I was with him when he bought it. But he had several other cars which he drove more than the K.

It is making an internal noise (rattle) and lacks full power especially on steep inclines. It runs really rough at cold start up. The engine runs smooth after running several minutes and after idle kicks down. I do trust my mechanic. I have used him for a number of years. If he says it has a bad cam then it has a bad cam in my opinion.

My concern right now is this. If I drive it as is, do I risk a far more expensive fix such as blowing a hole it a cylinder or something like that. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Rattle and lacking full power especially on steep inclines??

Have you had the catalytic converter checked???? Low miles doesn't keep rust and internal breakdown of a converter at bay. A exhaust shop can run a test, takes about 5 maybe 6 minutes and most shops don't charge to do it $$$$.

Is the car throwing any codes??
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Postby 88 aries » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:55 pm

turbokcar wrote:Is it a 2.6 POS or a 2.2, or a 2.5?

1983 did not offer the 100 HP 2.5, only the good ole 2.2 and the POS 2.6 were on the option list.
88 aries

Next

Return to For Guests