Hello there- new member from the UK

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Hello there- new member from the UK

Postby scooters » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am

Hello from Scotland, just joined the forum after a moment of ebay + a bottle of bordeaux resulted in my buying an '88 lebaron convertible. The resultant fun and games are parts related as the car was never sold in the UK (in fact I'm pretty sure no K cars were ever sold here)

it's optimistic having a convertible in the wonderful Scottish climate but that makes it more fun!

so far i have:

1/replaced the cigar lighter
2/ torn down and rebuilt the steering column in order to fix the wonderful loose bolts on the good ol' chrylser/GM steering column
3/ fixed a fuel leak - spurting over the engine

still to do:

1/ seal an oil leak at the bottom of the dip stick tube
2/ re install the horn (removed as I didn't but the column back to gether properly
3/ refit the flasher actuator - got to be just about the most infuriating job I have ever tried on a car and - I have owned Citroens
4/ remove the lowered suspension to the original height - bone rattling ride - most of my home town streets in Edinburgh are cobbled
5/ new front tyres - looking a bit bald
6/ a new roof before the winter
7/ new rustproofing - we put salt on the roads here in winter
8/ chase an electrical gremlin which cauises the stereo, indicators, wipers, ccomputer and windows to fail but not the ignition,. roof or headlights
9/ replace the thermostat as the heating isn't working and I froze my erse off driving from London to Edinburgh yesterday with the roof down

so far I have completed 3000 miles since owning although the Odo doesn't work - the speedo does though - any suggestions?
my one has a 2.5 non turbo with a retro fitted manual gearbox and clutch - I am impressed with the basic and simple nature of the mechanicals - what some would describe as unsophisticated I describe as easy to fix!
scooters

Car Information: 1988 Chrylser Lebaron convertible 2.5 lt manual

Re: Hello there- new member from the UK

Postby Chief » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:23 pm

"WELCOME!!!" We definitely like to think of every new member as a "K-Car Savior!" :lol:

Most K-Cars wind up in the wrecking yards or crushed for scrap metal. So we love to see when one, like yours, gets rescused. There are some extremely knowledgable people on this site, and everyone is quite willing to help you in any way they can. "We are glad to have you!"

Peace,

Chief
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Welcome!!

Wow, you took the car on a 390 mile road trip (6 hour trip?) with bald tires?? Your a brave soul!!!!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby scooters » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Jacks1986Lebaron wrote:Welcome!!

Wow, you took the car on a 390 mile road trip (6 hour trip?) with bald tires?? Your a brave soul!!!!!

well not completely bald yet but certainly not as treadful as I like them!
scooters

Postby Silverbeard » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:26 am

Welcome Scooters, good to see you add a LeBaron to your list of past and present cars (some of which are pretty rare on this side of the pond). You will have to show some more photos, would be interested to see how the manual shifter looks on the convertible.

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby Eclassic » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:56 am

welcome to the club scooters good luck with your electrics hope you get it figured out. :mrgreen:
the best class is ECLASS
Eclassic

Car Information: 1984 E class

Postby scooters » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:00 pm

thanks

had a good poke around in the electrics yesterday - much of the loom has been bodged but thngs seem to work. I installed a new cigar lighter yesterday - it lights up fine but won't heat the lighter - it is a universal 12 v lighter - I wonder if the new one I bought is faulty - unless the voltage is different on the k car?

I am really going to have to sort the suspension- some one has lowered it which might make the car look cool but is not suitable for the roads in Edinburgh - you lose the fillings from your teeth every time you hit a pot hole.

does anyone know how I put it back up?
scooters

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:31 pm

You could check to see if whomever owned car before you used spring coil "clamps" to achieve the Lowered "look"?
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Purplegrasshopper » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:17 am

Welcome to the club!
Purplegrasshopper
Car Fan

Car Information: None

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects