K-car A/C repair tips

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

K-car A/C repair tips

Postby 88 aries » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:41 am

as ive just read, that some of you have a K-car where the air doesnt work, well i have a few tips that might help you out.

#1 check to see if your compressors low on freon, if it is get some or have a mechanic do it for ya.
#2 Make sure the compressor has enough oil or else it will die, which is why most of the people take the compressor belt off.
#3 make sure that the dryer is clear and you can see through it.
#4 some states you can buy the freon kit and install the freon with a guage type device.
#5 do it your self it saves money, and if you cant, just pay a good mechanic to do it.
#6 Red Neck A/C windows down
#7 find a K-car with no A/C

hope these tips work, its simple to work on a K-car compressor 4 bolts loosen up the belt and A/c lines a tear it off and replace it
88 aries

Re: K-car A/C repair tips

Postby taxiguy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:02 am

My car just needs a compressor clutch, but there's no K's at my junkyard and to pay full price for a new one (111 dollars! :shock: ) is waaaay too much. It may need a freon refresh as well, but I'll get to that once the compressor is functioning with a clutch again.

Good news: When I got the Monte Carlo last week the A/C was the only thing on the entire car that didn't work, but yesterday I had my father (the mechanic in the family) give it a refresh of freon and now it blows ice cold! It really does work 8)
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects