Some progress

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Some progress

Postby ReliantLV » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:49 pm

So my Reliant has been in the garage since November last year. (Unbelievable, I know!)

A few days ago I finally was able to test-drive it, and although many things have improved, some crucial things still need attention. I think my mechanic is slowly losing interest/motivation, for whatever reason, which is a pity as he does/did have the most positive attitude (which is everything when this model/year is concerned, at least here).

It rolled quite nicely on the road, but there was some noise as if something was scratching in the wheels (like some break pad or something), so I asked to see what causes that, plus I'm not sure the brakes are working on the left side at all (also asked to have a look.) So far I haven't needed the brake drums Butch kindly found for me, as it was simply impossible to test them in any way.)
Another part in the front wheel (sorry don't have the time to translate right now) is dying (making a rather nasty noise when the wheel is turned) so has to be adjusted from some other make/model again. (LOL, sorry but it seems I can only diagnose the problems by the presence of nasty noises, come to think of it!)

The engine - well, he says the "brains" have been damaged somehow, so (deep breath!) they put in something from an Audi 100. I think my Plymouth is going to end up being some strange mutant after all (IF it survives!) The engine did work quite ok, but not sure about the CO-CH levels yet, those haven't been tested yet. Also the sensor that turns on the radiator fan, is dead.

Will write more later, just wanted to give an update! I hope everyone is well!

Irena
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Car Information: 1981 Plymouth Reliant Custom 2-d. coupe

Re: Some progress

Postby Chief » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:01 am

Irena... you have certainly put in the time, work, and the effort to get your K-Car road worthy. Being where you're located, I can only imagine how tough it must be to get any type of parts for it. At some of the bigger Car Show events here, they give out a "Hard Luck Trophy" to the person who had the most problems getting there. I would certainly nominate you for that trophy after having your car in the shop since last November! "Good Luck" and I truly hope that it all works out for you!

Chief
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby ReliantLV » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Aww, thank you, Chief! :lol: Yes, the parts are a constant problem (and I do thank everyone who has offered help to find them in North America and send them), it's just that with a more or less creative approach a lot can be adjusted, but it does take some figuring out. My mechanic says in some respect it's very similar to the VW Passat of those years.

I'll write more when I know anything more.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Postby 1of10K » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Good Luck with your car. I admire all the work and effort you have put into your car to get it back on the road ! If you might be looking for any small trim or small interior parts that may be impossible to find, let me know, I have a large amount of used '81-82 items like that from an 1981 parts car I had once.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby ReliantLV » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 am

Thank you very much! Well, the radiator grille on mine looks AWFUL (first thing that comes to mind), but I won't even ask about it yet, because there's still so much to do with the crucial parts.
ReliantLV
Car Fan

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects