The Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant Police Car.

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

The Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant Police Car.

Postby 89ARIES » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:02 am

Between the years 1982 and 1987, there were Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant 4 door police cars across the United States. They were big on the old Oakland Army Base in Oakland, California
and 100s of them were used by the New York City Police Department. Sadly, these cars were virtually annihalated and its is pretty much impossible now to find one. The old army base was abandoned
in 1999 and now the city of Oakland 10 years later is talking about tearing down the abandoned military installation and putting a shopping plaza in its place. The New York City Police Department
restored and kept a sliver few of rare police cars for shows, but it looks like they failed to salvage any K-cars. Also, the most comprehensive website for historical police vehicles totally ignores the K-car
as a law enforcement vehicle and it is only mentioned in one small paragraph. We have ONE member in this entire club who is inactive and never says hi. This guy in Illinois claims to have an original,
authentic military police car. Also, one person on Allpar from Twentynine Palms Marine Base had a Reliant Military Police Car in his possession as recently as 2002. I am going to contact the Chrysler Archives and
if the historian there will give me the courtesy to return my phone call (which he has not been doing), then maybe I can get a breakout of how many K-cars were police cars and how many K-cars were produced
by factory and option type. You can still find antique Diplomat police cars. How sad it is that the K-car police car did not last.
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Re: The Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant Police Car.

Postby 1of10K » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:12 pm

When I listed a K on ebay (I decided to keep it) I had a person contact me who said he was a retired New York City cop who wanted to buy my K to redecorate as a vintage cop car. He wanted me to end the auction early and make a deal to sell it to him, but I didn't think it sounded right, so I didn't. He also didn't bid on the car. I often wondered if he was for real, or someone playing a joke.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Re: The Dodge Aries/Plymouth Reliant Police Car.

Postby capev86 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:14 am

i know this is an old thread, but i just found while searching the net for any shred of info on K car cop cars.

the one item i find of particular interest in these cars is the gauge cluster with the 125mph speedometer and oil pressure gauge instead of an idiot light. i bought a NOS oil pressure gauge off eBay just the other day and i have the part numbers for the speedo, mask/lens, and circuit board also needed for the swap. but even searching Parts Voice i haven't come up with any sources yet.
capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects