Not a Granny Car, or is it ???

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Not a Granny Car, or is it ???

Postby 1of10K » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:35 am

I have seen all sorts of listings for various K cars on Craigslist and the Internet in general, refering to the Reliants and Aries as "Granny Cars". What are everyone's feelings on this?? Are we all really driving Granny cars?? I have heard several people refer to my K that they could just picture Granny still sitting behind the wheel. When I bought a K new in 1981, they were anything but Granny cars. The marketing Buzz was fresh, young, exciting. and new. People would crowd around my K whenever it stopped. If Chrysler would have thought about the same marketing ploy used for the first Saturns, there would have been major K Car Clubs right from the begining! These cars weren't marketed as "old reliables" but as new, fresh cars of the new 80's Chrysler Revolution. How did this all change??

Thought I would mention, one of my Grannies drove a 1972 Chevey Malibu SS that she bought when the car was only 9 months old, had it the rest of her life. Can you say Fast?! Bright Blue, white top and interior. And no, she never thought about getting a Reliant.
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Re: Not a Granny Car, or is it ???

Postby taxiguy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 pm

It has nothing to do with the fact that they are K-cars, it simply has to do with the fact that they are from the 80s. Anything with boxy styling is labeled a granny car... no matter what it is. Oldsmobile Cutlass, Ford Fairmont, Chevrolet Celebrity. All were "family sedans (or coupes)" when new but are now "granny cars" to the uneducated populace. If people actual learned about cars and history they would realize this is not true.
taxiguy
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Dodge 600 ES Turbo

Postby 88 aries » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 pm

not granny cars, i agree with taxiguy, its the boxy styling (which i like ) and the only ones that refer to a K-car as a granny car, are the ones who know nothing about the cars nor the history of the K-car
88 aries

Postby Butch » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:28 pm

I perfer to call them Granny grocery getters myself. Any low end model with auto trans, 4 dr, no trills etc. is what granny's bought. That's reality, but than again there's a Granny that drives a SUPERCHARGED 65 Nova that runs 120 MPH in the 1/8 mile at the local Dragstrip here. A car with a standard shift won't be considered a granny car thu. These cars have the same status as the Minivan does. When it was 1st introduced, it was a fresh new exciting idea too. Bottom line is it's a family vehicle. Very Very few people get excited about these cars, usaully because of some fond memories. Like getting their first nut in the back seat. :lol: I ride a Harley Sportster and hardcore bikers call it a "girls bike " but thats all I could aford to buy. Much is the same way with the granny car, they were affordable.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 88 aries » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:39 pm

i also call them a modern classic, some other people call them that too, along with the omnis and horizons and turismos, TC3 024's
88 aries

Postby Butch » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Yea I sure granny would call them a "modern classic" too. :lol:
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby RichG » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:45 am

I think the term comes from the fact that, in the early 80's, there was a tendency for retirees to purchase their "last" new car; the car that would be driven until they couldn't drive anymore (leases were not invented yet). They were looking toward value, economy, and reliability. The cars they often purchased did not have wide acceptance or appeal to the "younger" crowd; they were neither sporty sporty or fast, just basic mom and pop mobiles to get them to the store, the bingo hall...etc. Those retirees tended to take exceptional care of their "last" car, and drove exceptionally few miles. Therefore, any super low mileage, cleanly garage kept economy cars qualify as "Granny" cars. (Think of the little old man in the hat driving in front of you, barely able to see over the steering wheel of his nearly pristine yellow/gold 1981 Mercury Zephyr). :lol: They also tend to be looked at as if they have a great lack of value, which is most people's mistake when judging older vehicles.

Even my brother said my 1991 Tempo (powder blue found with 23,000 miles in 2003) was an "old man's car". My wife would'nt let me buy a 1997 Chrysler LHS fully loaded with 25,000 on it in 2005 because she said she felt like it was an "old ladies car". 20 Years from now....who knows what will qualify.
1984 Le Baron Convertible 2.2
2002 Ford Taurus
2004 Mazda 3 5-speed
RichG
Car Fan

Car Information: 1984 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible 2.2

Postby MoparDan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 pm

RichG wrote:. (Think of the little old man in the hat driving in front of you, barely able to see over the steering wheel of his nearly pristine yellow/gold 1981 Mercury Zephyr). :lol:

Probilly a good discription of my Dodge's last owner! :lol:
MoparDan
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge 600

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects