Hi, I'm new, My 82 looks like new

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Hi, I'm new, My 82 looks like new

Postby Silverbeard » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:52 am

Hi everyone, glad to find some other LeBaron lovers.
I have an 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition(I think that was the only way they came in 82) White with white top. My father bought it new and I have had it since 87 when the trade-in value was an insult so I bought it. It has been used as a summer toy since then and has 112,000 km (under 70,000 m. ) stored Oct - May and gets about 1,000 m. a year, goes out for cruises or the golf course on sunny days. Generally put the roof down in the spring, snap the boot on and it stays in the garage unless the weather is perfect. ( Got caught in the rain once last year, those 10 year old wipers don't work worth poop, hadn't been used in years).

Roof replaced and re-paint at 12 -14 yrs. old so it looks like new, everything is working, original and stock, hardly any maintenance has been needed.

Does anyone else have one? How many of us are there with these original models?
Any idea how many were produced and how many might be left?
Why don't car lovers appreciate that these were the first American made Convertibles produced in 6 years after the Eldorado was dropped in '76?

I guess we K Car lovers have a problem with the rest of the world, we are not loved!!!!

Looking forward to feedback, Thanks
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Re: Hi, I'm new, My 82 looks like new

Postby 88 aries » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:45 pm

i know whay you mean, whats wrong with loving k-car i mean there just the same as any other car, ok maybe its not got a high powered v8, but still its sometimes good to be the odd ball, i give people the thumbs up when i see an old k still clicking, while other car clubs have gas sucking V8s we have our trusty 4 cylinders, and we can accually afford the gas to go to car shows LOL.

im affraid to go to the mopar show in area because of the rain, my 1988 dodge aries hasnt seen rain snow, since i have owned it, its in good shape for a floridian car, only 2 spots of bubbling. check it out
88 aries

Postby Silverbeard » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 pm

[img]
P1010622%20copy.jpg
[/img]

Hi 88 aries, I had viewed your photos and figured that your cars had not seen snow ( other than the little bit beside your drive in one shot. )
Canadian winters are tough on car bodies, even with yearly rustproofing, but my 'Winter Beater' is a Cadillac Deville is 10 yrs old now and still rust free.
I am trying to upload some pictures, (upload challenged at the moment but working on it)
What part of the country are you located?
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Postby 88 aries » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 pm

the red k-car with a five speed is not mine, the silver one is my summer car/project car, i have an old 92 buick for winter
88 aries

Postby 88 aries » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 pm

that picture of my aries was just out of the garage becuase it was like 50 degrees, i just let the engine run because it hadnt been started since november of 07, i had it out last week and it peformed flawlessly, i have added new front brakes because the calipers and rotors were crap,

go to http://www.cardomain.com and look up kcarman in the search browser, there you will see my interior pictures and my project reliant.
88 aries

Postby pete1982 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:16 am

Hi,

Im new to the K car club, i live in the uk and i also have a 1982 lebaron convertible.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2390831

The above link has a few pics of my car before and after.

Had the car 4 years now and i must say it has been a fun 4 years. The car was brown ish when i got it really faded with lots of little dings,so i decided to overhaul it and give it a new coat of rosso red.

New items.

New Brakes all round (rear shoes,pistons,brake pipes Front pads,calipers)
Rear shocks
Front strut top mounts
Front lower control arm bushes
Front lower ball joints
Air filter,oil filter & some gaskets
Convertible roof (black)
Top lift cylinders (for roof)
remote cental locking
2 way remote alarm system (real sweet)
cd player
All light conversion to UK spec (a real pain in the ####)

Just done.

Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
new tyres
new fuel lines
new exhaust (galvanised striaght through)
timing chain guide (what a b**** to do).

Pete
pete1982

Car Information: chrysler lebaron convertible 2.6l 1982

Postby MFF3 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:40 am

Hi Everyone. I too have an '82 convertible LeBaron. My parents purchased it new, and I began driving it in 1986. Although I've had other cars through the years, I still kept the old LeBaron. In 2006 I completed a two year professional restoration. It looks brand new. It is black with tan interior and a black convertible top. I've entered two shows, and won a trophy for 2nd place in class (1973-1982) last fall. My friends joke that there must have only been two cars in the class, but actually there were many.

My car has just over 71,000 miles. I drive it only about 1,000 per year, now.

I just joined tonight after reading the article in Hemmings Classic Car. Looking forward to feedback. - Mike
1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible
1979 Mercedes-Benz 450SL Convertible
MFF3
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible

Postby Silverbeard » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:37 am

A big Hello to MMF in New Jersey and Pete in the UK, glad to hear from you both, we seem to be a rare group that are keeping an 82 alive and well.
I will get back another day to exchange more info, but I Just got back from a Stevie Nicks (of Fleetwwod Mac) live concert and its getting late to put my mind to things I would like to say.
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Postby pete1982 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 am

Hi Guys,

I ve been told by a friend who knows his stuff that there was on only 3046 of these made. Not sure if that was just in that year or in total.

You guys got any pics as it would be intresting to see.

Pete
pete1982

Car Information: chrysler lebaron convertible 2.6l 1982

Postby Silverbeard » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi Pete

The one newspaper article I have stated that they planned on producing 3,000 but ended up selliing 23,000 LeBarons and dodge 400 convertibles (according to a book by Lee Iacocca).
I will scan that article and post or e-mail it, also have an original brocheur for the LeBaron, and of course my photos. I just have to organize things and find the best way to post them.

Bye for now, Martin
P1010625 copy copy.jpg
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects