1st Gen History Gems, Part 7: " Keeping K Hot" Promotions

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

1st Gen History Gems, Part 7: " Keeping K Hot" Promotions

Postby 1of10K » Thu May 13, 2010 12:08 am

in fa :lol: ll of 1980, Chrysler sent a big packet to every dealer on how to keep the K "hot" and increase sales. The following are some of the actual suggestions from that packet, never before published anywhere. Compare these actual Chrysler promotions that versions of are now being used by several other companies. This may be the first time this has ever been made public:

The Actual Chrysler Sponsered Promotion Ideas.

"Establish a Demonstration -drive route" The plan was to have a test drive route thru "densely populated areas" and have signage on the car identifying it and the dealership.

"Stage Parades". (quote) "Offer to enter a K car in every parade or public function you can. Exposure is free...and valuable"(unquote)

"Create K Car Parking lots" Have special areas set aside near the main entrance of public functions or sports events. Use signage to identify the area as the " Plymouth Reliant front-wheel-drive "Up Front" parking area

"Telephone Promotion Idea" Offer a free 1 week use of a K car to anyone who answers their phone with your dealership name and also says " I'd sure like to drive a Plymouth Reliant !" Licensed drivers only, disc jockeys are a prime target for this promo.

"Lend A K Car" Lend a K car to school auto shops and engineering classes to allow them to examine the basic principles behind the amazing new front wheel drive concept.

"Weight Watchers" Offer a loaner K car for a week to your local Weight Watchers type group for the person who loses the most weight, this will emphasize the K car's "lighter weight concept".

"Coupons For Test Drives" Offer coupons at local retail establishments for those who take a K test drive (Chrysler did this with K-mart, see previous parts of this series for details)

"Make House calls" Offer to let a prospect use a K car instead of their own car for demonstration ( Ford loves this idea)

"Press Party" private K car Press Party for members of the press with food, K promo items, etc.

"Gymnasts Demonstration" Get local agile gymnasts to perform, relating to the Reliant's light weight and agility. Consider donating a K to the school for continued Gymnast approval

"Join The Circus" ( This one is not a joke, Chrysler actually encouraged dealers to try this) Offer a K to a visiting Circus as a "clown car" (quote)"Dozens of Clowns piling out of a K car is an entertaining way to demonstrate the car's roominess"(unquote) Or stage an appearance at your dealership by local clowns and give out cotton candy and balloons for the kids, with a parental test drive of course!

"Sponser A Spelling Bee" At your dealership, every word begins with a K, the winner gets a 10 speed bike, parents get to use a Reliant for a week.

"Have A K Party" Invite local residents whose last names begin with "K" to see the K in person and have a chance to win prizes. People whose first names also begin with "K" get two chances to enter. People whose first names are "Kay" or "Kaye" get 5 chances to enter. Give away prizes that begin with K:(quote) kits, kites, kittens, karate lessons, kayaks, kazoos, kielbasa, knapsacks, and the like" (unquote). (Wonder if anyone who was named Kaye Karr got something extra!)

Nothing says fun like the good times of the early 80s!!!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Re: 1st Gen History Gems, Part 7: " Keeping K Hot" Promotions

Postby Chief » Thu May 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Absolutely "EXCELLENT!!!" :lol:
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Talk about pulling out all the stops...
88AriesLEwagon

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 pm

Interesting on what all they would do or suggest, to keep these little cars "hot"!!

Thanks for the history!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby nszotovich » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:42 am

What a great piece of kitch history. I thought I would flip my keilbasa. :D :D :lol:
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby 1of10K » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Always thought the clown idea was best.

Think of how scared the little kids would be to see a K car pull up and a bunch of hot, sweaty clowns fall out of it, probably all gasping for air at the same time!

The stuff nightmares are made of!!
1of10K
Car Fan

Postby nszotovich » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:54 pm

" K-Car" The new novel by Stephen King :roll:
nszotovich

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:01 am

With all the promotion,why were there never more K toys?
I know of one Tootsietoy Reliant K coupe,the Hot Wheels Aries wagon and nothing else.
No models,no plastic push cars,no pull cord cars,no Legos Ks.....no posters,no coloring books,nothing.
I guess the target market wasnt kids afterall,no thought of future sales (as the K would be gone by mid 1989),so no need to appeal to the younger set,they wouldnt be buying new cars until after the AAs came along.
88AriesLEwagon

Postby 1of10K » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:12 pm

There actually were plastic promotional cars available of the first 1981 Reliants. They, along with all sorts of endless other trinnkets and giveaways, were listed as available in the pre-release packet sent to dealers in late summe/early fall 1980. I seen a couple of the promos back in 1980, but never thought to latch on to one and have never seen one since!
1of10K
Car Fan

Postby nszotovich » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:12 pm

There is now available a diecast model of the first generation Aries/Reliant. I have seen them on eBay for $12.99. They, I believe they are 1:32 scale. Nicely done.
nszotovich

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects