say hello to my Ugly Duckling - '88 Reliant 2.5L Wagon

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

say hello to my Ugly Duckling - '88 Reliant 2.5L Wagon

Postby johnnytoobad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:25 pm

After years of perverse hankering, I finally snagged the K-Car station wagon of my dreams. It's a 1988 4-door 2.5L "American Sedan" with a flawless burgundy interior and a body of "burnish'd gold..." My plan is to do a little modifying--er, once I figure out why it won't start, that is. So if there's anyone out there who's painted, lowered and/or beefed up the power train on a "K," I'd be most interested in your views. (In a perfect world, I'd swap the automatic transmission for a stick, too. But I don't know if such things are possible.)
johnnytoobad

Car Information: 1988 Plymouth Reliant Wagon LE

Re: say hello to my Ugly Duckling - '88 Reliant 2.5L Wagon

Postby 88 aries » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:58 am

excuse my opinions here, but lowing any car is just not my style, and in my personal opinion why would you want to change the value of an all original car that is in good shape, yes there are options out there to convert to stick shift; but it is difficult trying to find the manual tranmission mount for the floor and a turbo engine in good shape.
88 aries

Postby 1of10K » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Welcome to the Club!

I myself like the idea of a custom Reliant, have always wanted to lower one, custom paint, etc. Had a friend out in New Mexico many years back who lowered a front wheel drive Skyhawk wagon, did the car in semi-gloss gray with a black metalflake roof and upper pillars, spoke mags, and redline tires. It really looked good when done. I think he used spring compressors on the back and had the local auto parts guy search for front struts that were shorter than stock, etc.

Have done alot of custom K pondering, there are all sorts of things you can change. If you want to change the seats out, many late model buckets would just about bolt right in, power buckets are nice, take the headrest off for custom look, if legal in your area. The later K will swap out for just any later model Mopar Stereo and components, the junkyards are full of wrecks with nice Infinity systems for cheap. Leave the back seat folded down, make custom upholstered panels to cover the rear interior and floor, maybe remove the rear door handles or weld up the seams on the back doors with small strips of filer metal for a cool 2 dr wagon look if you really want extreme!

Powertrain upgrades can be had, maybe seek out a wrecked Shelby/Omni Charger with the hot 2.2, or go all the way with the turbo.

Now before the purists choke me, I wouldn't say to do this on a ultra rare model, a first Generation model, or even a Spring Special, but there is no reason not to have a little fun with your wagon. If you want to restore it, great, but don't be afraid to use your imagination and let us know how it progresses!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby Jacks1986Lebaron » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Welcome to the club!!
Jacks1986Lebaron
Car Fan

Car Information: Chrysler Lebaron 1986-2.5 automatic

Postby Silverbeard » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Welcome to the club, glad to have another Canadian KCar lover in the area.
Two other local members that are active on the forum are Will Hall in Guelph and David near Paris, each have several Ks. All or cars are stored for winter as we know what road salt does to these cars.
We will have to plan to get together in the spring when we are out of hibernation.
Please join the Ontario Chapter site which needs a little more activity to get it rolling.

http://ontariokcars.maxforum.org/?utm_s ... 5-5ee94f50

Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby nszotovich » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Welcome to the club. We would love to see some (before) pictures also. Best of luck on your project.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby johnnytoobad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:19 pm

88 aries wrote:excuse my expression, but lowing any car is just plain gay, and why would you want to ruin the value of an all original car that is flawless, and concour material, yes there are options out there to convert to stick shift; but good luck trying to find the manual tranmission mount for the floor. and a turbo engine that runs great.

Please, comments from grown-ups only.
Last edited by johnnytoobad on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnytoobad

Postby johnnytoobad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Silverbeard wrote:Welcome to the club, glad to have another Canadian KCar lover in the area.
Two other local members that are active on the forum are Will Hall in Guelph and David near Paris, each have several Ks. All or cars are stored for winter as we know what road salt does to these cars.
We will have to plan to get together in the spring when we are out of hibernation.
Please join the Ontario Chapter site which needs a little more activity to get it rolling.

http://ontariokcars.maxforum.org/?utm_s ... 5-5ee94f50

Martin

Thanks. I'll didn't know there was an Ontario site. I'll check in right away. Johnny.
johnnytoobad

Postby dodgeariesguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Johnny I have reviewed your reported message, it will be dealt with.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby nszotovich » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:59 pm

The boy is only twenty years old. That explains alot.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects