Questions regarding '82 Lebaron

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Questions regarding '82 Lebaron

Postby frankrizzo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:25 am

I'm new to the club, and I have a question about an '82 Lebaron convertible that I now own from my father-in-law. As you can see from the photo (not sure if it's uploading), it's in pretty good shape with leather interior and less than 20k miles. It has been garage kept, but not driven in the last 5+ years. I'm potentially looking at fixing it up, but I have no idea what it's worth either running or as is. I also don't have any clue about the reliability of this vehicle if I were to fix it up. Looking for suggestions from anyone here on the board.
frankrizzo

Car Information: 1982 Lebaron Convertible

Re: Questions regarding '82 Lebaron

Postby Butch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Vehicles that sat for a long time will leak every fluid and have rotten gas. IF you can do ALL the work yourself it would be worth saving. If you're NOT a mechanic, it would cost a small fortune to save it.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby 1of10K » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Butch is correct. I have seen several nice old cars that have sat for awhile get really messed up by the owners trying to start them with the old rotten varnished gas. If I were you, look at this car as a project, something to do when you have time, and try to restore it yourself. It sounds like a nice car, but check the values on them, there isn't much appreciation and restoration costs can quickly become alot more that you will ever get from it, I speak with K car experience on that one!
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby Silverbeard » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:51 pm

To give you an idea of value, mine was appraised recently for $6,500. in very good to excellant shape for 70K miles. My father bought it new and I have had it since 1987 and use it as a summer toy for criusing with the top down.
Yours has been garage stored and very low milage should have a good body and interior which is a great start. These cars are easy enough to work on and have very little electronics compared to newer cars.
Remember , the '82 was the first American made convertible in 6 years after the Eldorado was dropped in '76, plus if you have the brown leather it is the Mark Cross Edition.
A word of warning, if it has the 2.6L, don't touch the carb. unless you have an expert who knows them well, anything else you or a mechanically inclined person can handle.
In gereral, they are a great little convertible, almost 30 yrs. old, not a lot of them around, turns heads at every corner, worth saving and using as a classic.
Easiest way to post photos here is to link a web album that you have uploaded.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Martin
Image Image
Silverbeard
Car Fan

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Convertible, Mark Cross Edition, 2.6 L

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:59 pm

I agree that the gas is stale and should be removed before proceeding. I don't necessarily agree that it will leak every fluid and cost a fortune to get roadworthy. It depends alot on the storage conditions (climate controlled garage?, extreme or moderate temperatures?, humidity conditions, etc.) and how it was maintained before it was put away. Its a good idea to replace all the fluids for starters but especially the engine oil/filter. As a minimum expect that the brake system needs to be inspected/overhauled. As to what is worth - prices vary widely depending on the condition.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby frankrizzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:48 am

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's got the brown leather interior and it's in great shape. The carburetor comment was interesting--not sure what was meant by that since I've always thought all carburetors are created equal. I've seen these on eBay for real cheap (<$1000), so that's why I was wondering what would one like mine be worth.
frankrizzo

Postby 1of10K » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:03 pm

The 2.6 was the Mitsibushi "Hemi" engine, I think the biggest problem is that most are not familiar with it's workings. Many engine problems are first thought to be a bad carb, but end up being something else. I found that most of my carb problems on hundreds of old cars I have had are from dirt or old gummy gas deposits. Found out that a 2.2 engine carb can run really bad due to one easily replaced tiny o-ring inside of it; replaced one on my former '81 that was damaged by the mechanic, ( who rendered the car undriveable by doing so ) and it ran much better. Just don't run that old gas through it and usually you can get by without replacing the carb, maybe just a good cleaning instead.

As far as value goes, watch ebay and similar sites to see what similar cars actually sell for. Appraisals are usually "full retail price", usually for insurance reasons, and few people would ever pay that.
1of10K
Car Fan

Postby 88 aries » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:16 pm

I was going to say 1of10k the 81 runs perfect, most people cant believe how well it ran comming into a car show and how quiet it was, did it always blow out blue smoke for a very brief moment on start up ? I Might try a 10W-30 next time I change oil, I think the valve seals are a little worn out, but after a minute or so the smoke is gone.
88 aries

Postby frankrizzo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

I found an 83 currently on eBay going for around $3,000. It's got 85k miles and looks to be in really good shape. Mine looks exactly like this one except mine's not a woody. Otherwise, it' a carbon copy with 65k less miles. I will probably have my mechanic drain the gas and fluids and see what all needs to be fixed beyond that.
frankrizzo

Postby 1of10K » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:18 am

The '81 didn't smoke when I had it, never had any oil usage at all. As long as the smoke clears up after a couple of minutes, I wouldn't worry much about it..

It always ran good for me too, never stalled or had any no start issues.

My first 1981 Reliant, back in 1981, only did a no start once. I was in New Mexico in the "winter" and drove through a big puddle on a cold day. The nexxt day, I think there was water froze in the starter, as it didn't turn. But it went from around 20 degrees in the morning to almost 80 degrees later on in the day, so the problem went away.
1of10K
Car Fan

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects