Hello from NC 87 Reliant SW 2.2

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Hello from NC 87 Reliant SW 2.2

Postby steveono » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:22 am

Hello everyone from NC. I have always loved the "K"car as everyone calls it, and have ran into a problem. I luckily found an 87 Plymouth Reliant 2.2 SW White in near mint condition, I was buying it for my wife to use on the mail route. It has only 67,000 original miles on it, and was used by a tomb stone maker in his 70's. I thought I got a pretty good deal, the car was a little sluggish at stops but ran fine other than that. Now I have replaced plugs, fuel filter and found all the vacuum leaks. But now the car will start, idle normal, then die. When you are going down the road it;s fine until you stop suddenly like at stop signs and such. I did the diagnostic light check and it comes up code 15 ( speed sensor) I called advance, and they said they could have one over nighted here no problem, except it's $105. I took the speed sensor out, then put it back in, just to see how hard of a job it would be. Seems to be a 30 minute fix, if it works. I'd rather find an old junker at the junk yard, and just get itt for maybe $15 and if it don't fix it then who cares, on to another sensor. Any suggestions
steveono

Car Information: 1987 Plymouth Reliant SW 2.2

Re: Hello from NC 87 Reliant SW 2.2

Postby dodgeariesguy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:45 pm

First off welcome, your car sounds very nice, any chance of pictures? Anyway on to you problems yes definitely replace the speed sensor I had one go on a 94 Acclaim and it acted just like you describe, its my understanding this was a common problem on the 3-speed auto but for some reason the particular part is still damn expensive for the car its going into. Anyway if you can find one in a scrap yard pull it and swap her in if that doesn't help come on back and we'll give 'er another try to get you back up to 100%.
Presenting the K-Car: THE KING OF ECONOMY CARS, LUXURY CARS, AND CONVERTIBLES!
dodgeariesguy

Car Information: 1987 Dodge Aries LE 2.5, 1986 Dodge Aries SE 2.2

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Here are a couple on ebay for about $40-$60
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BWD-Auto ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

Also try www.rockauto.com
They seem to have one listed for your car for about $19
Standard SC5
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby steveono » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Thank-you for the info and yes I will post some pics. Only problem is those look nothing like the one I pulled out. The one at advance auto is the identical one I pulled. Maybe the cheaper ones just don't have all the parts like the gear that goes in the tranny and other parts. If it will fix the speedo and the stalling it will be worth $105 . I'll keep you guys posted. And thanks so much.
steveono

Postby steveono » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks guys, I had already ordered one from Advance Auto Parts for $113 tax included, so I called my friend who works there to possibly get his discount, and while I was looking on the web I saw one at Oreilys Auto Parts for $39 both Borg Warner, one of the managers at Advance I overheard say "well tell him to buy it at Oreily's" Well my friend called the Corp. Office and they matched the price. It's mad a little different than the factory one, and you have to use your gear off the old speed sensor, so the speedo will work, after 30 mins. or so the car ran like new and the speedo came alive, after being dead since December, which it wouldn't pass inspection so it wasn't driven. Thanks again guys for all the help.

steveono

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Very nice wagon. Glad you are back in business.

What was the initial symptoms of your failure. I have an Acclaim in which the speedometer acts up occassionaly. Seems to have a dead zone at the bottom end sometimes (0 - 10 mph) and does not always return to null.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Welcome!!! It looks like you and your wife got a really nice K-Wagon!!!
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects