old couple 1985 chrysler new yorker Turbo

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

old couple 1985 chrysler new yorker Turbo

Postby 88 aries » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 am

so i was going into wal-mart and i spoted this really nice 1985 new yorker 2.2 litre Turbo, i waited until the owners came out i complented them on their new yorker, i told them about our club they were intrested, for the car it had only a little scar at the bottom of the left rear door, but other than that it was nice, the women says that her grand children love that car because of chrysler's eva system. i asked them if they could demonstrate the EVA it was so awsome,

and they like the K-car more than their buick NOW HOW AWSOME IS THAT.

white with pillow top blue interior .

only one rust blister

2.2 Turbo

wire wheels

digital dash

EVA

i gave them my number if they ever wanted to sell it.
88 aries

Re: old couple 1985 chrysler new yorker Turbo

Postby Baron » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:55 am

EVA? Our 83 E-class had a male "voice" that would say things like "A door is ajar" or "Please fasten your seatbelt" and a bunch of other things like "Please" and "Thank you". Is that what you are referring to? We used to have our kids' friends come crowding around wanting to hear it. They thought it was the neatest thing and thought we had our own personal KIT car.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:19 am

If I remember correctly, "EVA" stood for Electronic Voice Alert. My old '84 Lebaron Convertible had this system. My friends all found it amusing, particularly that "a door is ajar" line. One night, the head gasket blew and the system went haywire as the engine overheated. It went through the whole tape over and over again and just wouldn't shut up. I kept driving because I was afraid to turn the car off, thinking that it might not start up again and I'd be stuck on the road late at night.. So I had to put up with "EVA" until I was finally able to limp into my driveway. At least that car did get me home that night. I sold it right after that (this happened in 1992), but recently bought an '82 Lebaron convertible because I kind of missed it, despite the mechanical problems I had had. The "EVA" in my '84 was a male voice. It might have been easier to put up with if it had been a female voice. Did you have a choice? The original owner of my '84 had been a young woman, so she might have preferred a male.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby Baron » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 am

To my knowledge, there was no choice. I know no matter how I say this, its going to sound bad- my only defense is that my wife agrees with me. Some friends of ours at that time had a Toyota Maxima that also had some kind of voice alert system- with a female voice. It was weird the difference it made- while the male voice in our car had a "voice of authority", the toyota's voice just sounded like it was nagging. Perhaps it was the voices the two companies chose to use, I don't know. Like I said, I know that sounds bad- perhaps even sexist- but, not only does my wife and family agree, but when we and our friends compared the cars' voices together, our friends said the same thing, before we did. And now I'll shut up before I REALLY get myself in trouble - ifs it not too late already.
Baron
Car Fan

Postby Baron » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:43 am

btw, it probably didn't hurt that the male voice helped to perpetuate the KIT car image.
Baron
Car Fan

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects