The TRUE defination of a RARE car

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

The TRUE defination of a RARE car

Postby Butch » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:57 am

Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Re: The TRUE defination of a RARE car

Postby Baron » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:10 am

hmm, interesting. Always liked that model Barracuda and that would be a dream to own. Even more interesting, it was built exactly one day before my Plymouth Fury. Different factory, though- it was built in Hammtrack, MI; mine was built in Belvidere, IL.

But I have to say, I suspect this car is even more rare- and notable-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Not a fair comparison. Those two cars are rare due to original build production numbers/build configuration. Some K-cars are becoming rare due to attrition and a lack of interest to save/restore them. Either way the car ends up rare. Rare doesn't necessarily equate into inflated value - you need collector interest to go along with rarity.

That's a nice Barracuda, but I prefer the first series body design (64-66). I saw a "rare" one of the first series Barracuda's for sale at Hershey maybe 10 years ago. It was a one of kind specially build car by Chrysler for one of the Chrysler executives with an open roof design but no convertible top.

Now this is a rare and collectible Chrysler for those who prefer the older Mopars.
1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt by šťastnou cestu, on Flickr
1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt by šťastnou cestu, on Flickr
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby nszotovich » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:17 pm

The 67-68 Barracuda was pretty was pretty rare, especially the coupe. It never sold well and I suspect it was the prosaic Valiant dashboard. When you got into the drivers seat it didn't "read" sporty. The Mustang also had the Falcon dash, but altered it enough to make a difference in the "feel", especially after the first year. Chrysler spent a lot of money designing the beautiful exterior and expanding into three body styles, but failed in the interior.
I would love to have one!
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby Chief » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Butch...that is one beautiful ride my friend!!! :!:
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby 88AriesLEwagon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:06 pm

1967-1969 Barracudas were real rustbuckets.
I knew of a cheapskate who had a 1968 Barracuda coupe (not fastback) with 225 and automatic,and the driver fender fell off one day when he slammed the door shut.This was around 1989.Of course the car had been neglected for all those years and driven into the ground (he just installed a later model 225 engine right before too),but I bet a similar 68 Valiant or Dart would have held up better (bodywise).
I also know of a rather rare 69 Barracuda 318 convertible with optional hood tach,that sat for over 10 years with no convertible top on it,that sold around 6 years ago on EBAY for $2500!! Somebody really wanted a rotted away 69 convert I guess....

As much of a disaster they can be,personally I like the looks of the 67-69 fastback much better than the 64-66 Valiant body based model.Plymouth marketed it as a "Sports car"....and it indeed did have more of a European look than previous offerings.The 70-74 changed all that again...
88AriesLEwagon

Postby Butch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:33 am

You guys have some good points, but a car that is built on a normal production line and not by a special department is in my book a worthwhile reason to see it as a really rare car. Take my own car for example, it's a 1 of 1 86 Laser due to the fact I built ( modified ) it to my liking. But I wouldn't call it a rare car.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby Baron » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

For that matter, even my current car- 08 Chrysler 300 DUB Edition- is somewhat rare and will get rarer. There were only 1485 of the DUB Edition built, in four colors, so I figure there can't be much more than 400 of the edition in my color to start with, and that number will go down as the years go by. Its true rarity, however, will probably come well after I'm gone, but the possibility is there.
Baron
Car Fan

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:32 am

Baron wrote:For that matter, even my current car- 08 Chrysler 300 DUB Edition- is somewhat rare and will get rarer. There were only 1485 of the DUB Edition built, in four colors, so I figure there can't be much more than 400 of the edition in my color to start with, and that number will go down as the years go by. Its true rarity, however, will probably come well after I'm gone, but the possibility is there.

Baron...post pix, I love the 300 DUB Edition, which color did you get?
Link to view my web-page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215080
Chief

Car Information: Plymouth Reliant K America LE, 1989

Postby Baron » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 am

Wow, someone actually knows what a DUB Edition is! Here is a link to my Picasa Album with a few- 3- pictures of it, taken when I first brought it home.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1047648728 ... 5101166594
Baron
Car Fan

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects