Rare cars

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Rare cars

Postby 1983EClass » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 am

1983EClass

Car Information: 1983 E Class, Black on silver w/ red cloth inside.

Re: Rare cars

Postby nszotovich » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:02 am

It always amazes me every time I see it, that people don't pay attention to what they own, even as the name is plastered all over the object. People seem to be sleepwalking through life.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby MyDodgeDip » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 am

yea, those 71-73 imperials listed with 80s pictures. Which is it...? I suppose the guy knows what they look like and not the years...
MyDodgeDip

Postby Baron » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:17 am

Yeah, he's only off by about 6-10 years on those Imperial pictures.

As far as the Imperial Crown Royal goes, I believe that was a special roofline/model they had for a few years. If I remember correctly, their was a curve that started behind the rear window of the door (on a 2 dr hardtop)/doors (on a 4 dr hardtop) that went up and over the roof to the other side (the crown). The part of the roof in the front that was set off by the curve I believe was made of stainless steel, or could have been if so optioned. I don't know all the details on how it worked/came as an option, but it was a pretty sharp looking design, I do remember that.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby nszotovich » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:25 am

There was no Royal in the name which was a Dodge name on there Custom Royal model(Top of the line model).
Imperial had three three models: Custom, Crown, LeBaron. The LeBaron was the top of the line model which had the optional Stainless half roof from 57 to 63.
nszotovich

Postby Baron » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Well, it has been a long time- guess I got the details all mixed up. Wouldn't be the first time. Especially as I get older. :lol:

Whatever its name, that stainless steel half roof was still a pretty good looking design. I always kind of wondered if Chrysler was trying- perhaps somewhat vainly- to recapture that look when they did the half roof vinyl tops on so many of their cars, including a lot of their K car variations.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Postby nszotovich » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 pm

You are probably right. I guess stainless steel was too heavy and expensive for most of the K- variants. But that Imperial roof was copied by the whole industry at one time or another. It was one of Virgil Exner's may design innovations.
nszotovich

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects