ACTION PACKED DAY WITH CARS AND WWII VETERANS.

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

ACTION PACKED DAY WITH CARS AND WWII VETERANS.

Postby 89ARIES » Thu May 12, 2011 9:11 pm

In case anyone is interested:

1. Got up at 6:00 AM and drove to Tustin, California to meet up with my friend and WWII Veteran Bob Fischbeck. He is trying to sell his 82 LeBaron 2.6 Convertible
if anyone is interested. Got there at about 10:00 AM, including a 2 hour drive. He served me coffee and we had a nice chat about the world's problems. He then proceeded
to give me a ride in his 1950 Ford Custom Convertible, 61 years old, and 150,000 original miles. It had not been started for 2 months. It ran flawlessly. I was going to take Bob
to the meeting of WWII Vets, but he wasn't feeling well. He is fighting cancer at age 87. Please pray for him. He is a good guy. On the way, I ran into a 1982-1983 Pontiac J2000
Stationwagon with Florida plates. First model I ever found. Took some pics. :D

2.Drove to the Costa Mesa Community Center to meet with the Orange County Freedom Committee. This is the most active group of WWII Vets left in the area, and their
whole goal is to educate the public about military history while they are still alive. This whole mission and club LITERALLY keeps these men alive as it motivates them to stay active
and many men in the room were over 90 years old now. Almost none of them had walkers. Had some more cookies and coffee. Watched a Vietnam veteran talk about Navy patrol
boats. Then, Pearl Harbor survivor, Jack Hammett, age 91 did the unthinkable. He announced he was stepping down as chairman and founder of the committee. Not retiring, mind you, but
starting a smooth transition. Jack really looks to be 70 and his voice is very clear and youngish. He just said, "I can't live forever and I need to make sure someone can step in" They also talked
about incorporation and how to continue the mission. Jack singlehandedly founded and runs, and still runs, this commitee, despite his wife passing on a month ago. I also ran into the WWII Veteran
with his weapons collection. In 2006, he and I did a demonstration class together where I got whacked in the face with a broom, lol. Meeting 11:30-1:30 PM. :D

3. As I stepped outside to leave, I saw a 1974-1977 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ Coupe and 80s Crown Victoria.

4. Drove to American Legion Post on Balboa Island. By now I have seen three immaculate Ks and an immaculate 80s Ford LTD Wagon. Had lunch there right on the harbor. Then
visited the Catholic Church. Actually found free parking on the only road next to a 70s Plymouth Duster with some cancer. Then proceeded to walk 4 miles to the breakwater and Balboa
Pier and Newport Beach Pier. Moved the car at one point. At Balboa pier, had a milkshake. A gorgeous day. Saw some old cars on the island surprisingly. A very nice 80s Crown Vic Wagon,
77 Lincoln Continental Coupe, a 60s Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe, and to top it off, a 73 Lincoln Mark IV Coupe, original and still renewed, with serious rustholes all over it. A whole chunk of the
trunklid was eaten away, but the paint was original. Rust had attacked the crevices of the fenders and hood, and just eaten its way. It sat outside and looked like it was an original car.

5. Went to the bookstore, then went home as I was really tired.

A great day!
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects