Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Need advice regarding a prospective K car purchase

Postby Butch » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 am

The turbo cars don't need a cool down period since their watercooled, unlike a non cooled turbo.
Mopar or No car. Tires and Tits, Rock on.
Butch
Car Fan

Car Information: 86 Chrysler Laser BUILT 89 T2 2.5

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Butch wrote:The turbo cars don't need a cool down period since their watercooled, unlike a non cooled turbo.

Are you referring to this specific year K-car with the turbo or all the Mopar turbos from the 80's-90's in general. (Turbo-I, II, III)? I remember back in the late 80's or early 90's a friend's sister had a new high performance Mopar with a Turbo, and the dealer told her that she should follow a specific cool down procedure (maybe letting it idle for a couple of minutes before shutdown (to lower oil temp?) - I don't quite remember the exact procedure) so as not to overheat and damage the bearings in the turbocharger.
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, here is an update: I sent the dealer an e-mail on Wednesday and offered them $4,900 cash. In my message, I included links to ads for 3 other LeBaron convertibles that were at least comparable to theirs condition-wise, though the mileage on all of them was somewhat higher. One of them was from a dealership in Minnesota for a Formal Black 1985 Turbo, also a base model, with 54,000 original miles and their asking price was only $4,995 (this car is now for sale on Autotrader.com). And everyone knows that $4,995 is the classic come-on price for an older car on a dealer lot and they will always take less. The salesman I was working with called me back and said "well, I guess you did your homework" and immediately dropped the price by $1,000 to $5,850. I counter-offered with $5,000. He said no and that $5.850 this was their bottom line. So I told them I would have to think about it. I'm going to wait them out and see if they call me back. If they do, should I maybe offer a little bit more, or stick hard at $5 Grand? I really like this car, but we're starting to get into the price range of cars with more equipment - maybe even a T&C.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

Postby K-CAR_WAGON » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 pm

I would look at the car in person if you are serious. Its usually best if the seller does not know that you are coming in advance - so that the car is cold when you start it. Otherwise they will warm it up before you show up and you will miss any smoke at start-up or initial rough idle problems. Pictures can be deceiving (especially with regard to paint condition and quality). There could be lots of small imperfections with the car or things that need attention. For that kind of money for a base K-car you want something really pristine. Extremely low mileage is always a big plus to me. However, expect tires/hoses/brakes, etc. could very well be all original with such low mileage and might need replacement from age such as rubber dry rot. Those things are no big deal - but you might want to factor that into the price. Also, keep in mind sometimes the dealer adds on extra fees to the price like a preperation fee and a paperwork fee.

As regards to price, its really up to you, your budget and what you are really looking for. In general for an equivalent convertible with 20K miles vs 60K miles, I would spend an extra $1000. But I would think maybe $5000 for the 20K miles one and $4000 for the 60K miles one.

Any mainatance records with the car substantiating the mileage and demonstrating that it was well maintained?
K-CAR_WAGON
Car Fan

Car Information: Plymouth, Reliant Wagon, 1983

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 pm

K-Car Wagon. Thanks for the advise. I'm going to be in the dealer's area in about three weeks for a big car show that I attend every year. I'll stop in and have a look in person before making any decisions. I don't think that the car is going to sell at the price they are asking anytime soon. I just re-checked the ad online and they are still advertising the car at the original price ($6,950) which I think we both agree is ridiculous for a base model, even with really low miles and a turbo. For that price, I'd want a T&C with about 15,000 original miles on it!
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Postby 88 aries » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 am

they might come down on price if you brought an add for a town and country convertable in the same condition. this is why I hate dealers..they over price everything just to make a dollar on, for instance my first car, 1989 buick century limited 133,000 miles bought it for 700.00 trade in was 500.00 so the salesman made 200.00 off of my car.. Bastards... id wait it out and check it out in person. And what ever you do, don't let the the salesman go with you... it ruins the fun of testing the car to its limits ( well not limits but you know good work out)
88 aries

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 pm

I think the dealer is trying to cash in on the wonderful early fall weather Pennsylvania can have for the next five weeks or so. The weather can be just perfect for cruising in a convertable. The asking price is way too high and any knowledgable car person is going to know that. I think the dealer is hopeing for an impulse buyer who does'nt know any better and thinks it would be great fun to own a convertable. I think it's going to be a tough sell in this economy at the price listed. In six weeks or so as the wather turns gray and colder, the dealer is going to have to face the reality he 's going to have that car around for the winter and may get a lot more reasonable about your offer. If you can wait him out, i think you'll eventually hear from him.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 88 aries » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Dealers hate car smart people :D were no dumb dumbs who walk in off the street.
88 aries

Postby 82Lebaronconv » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:17 am

The dealer e-mailed me yesterday to inform me that the car was sold to an area collector for their full asking price of nearly $7K! Better him than me. I guess he was either very wealthy and didn't care what he was paying, or was just really uninformed to pay this much for a base model. Anyway, I found another 1985 Lebaron convertible that I like better in New Jersey and I'm going down to look at it tomorrow. Better yet, it is a fully optioned Mark Cross Turbo and it is much cheaper than what they wanted for their car. I posted pictures of it on my Photobucket account and they are in the same folder as the one I set up for the Pennsylvania car, so you can see them by following the link earlier in this post. The NJ car is the white one with the grey Mark Cross interior. Take a look and let me know what you think. Supposedly it has only 25K original miles. Looks very promising in the photos.
82Lebaronconv
Car Fan

Postby nszotovich » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:23 am

This looks like a winner. The interior looks newly refreshed and lovely. If it's as good as the photos indicate, you may have found your car.
GOOD LUCK!
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects