81 is getting CB Radio combo installed

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: 81 is getting CB Radio combo installed

Postby 88 aries » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:37 pm

all thanks to duked, I no longer have to take the inner splash shield off nor do I have to put in a different antenna wire. I'm to buy a splitter for the cb and the radio, it will go behind the radio, that way If I wanna go back to the radio it has I can.
88 aries

Postby nszotovich » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 pm

GOOD! The less alterations to the original car, the better.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Justin,

You need to be careful about the electrical characteristics of the antenna set up you use with that radio. The transistors in the CB transmitter portion of the radio expect to see an antenna tuned to the CB band. I'm not sure what kind of splitter is being talked about here. If the antenna was a CB antenna some type of splitter might allow the AM/FM radio to use the same antenna. I would be very careful about the other way around, using, an AM/FM car antenna for CB. The wrong type of antenna can wipe out those transistors in the output stage of the CB transmitter. There is a lot of technical theory behind the explanation of this but the short story is the antenna must be matched to the trasmitter.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 88 aries » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 pm

the splitter plugs directly into the antenna, I have been doing a lot of research on this radio, taking every measure to ensure that it will not get damaged. All duke said I Needed was a taller mast..
88 aries

Postby 88 aries » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Here is an example of a splitter, the original chrysler antenna wire had this build in. This is an adapter for this purpose. anyways this one is a Delco GM, but its on the same order as the one I am purchasing
88 aries

Postby 88 aries » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Heres the actual product..
88 aries

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Justin,

I didn't see any link or picture of the splitter in your last two posts. But, yes, thats it exactly you need an antenna mast that is longer than the standard AM/FM mast.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby 1of10K » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Some comments, as I actually bought a new '81 Reliant in '81 with the factory AM/FMCB. At the time, Chrysler was running a special for these am/fm/cb radios for only $ 90.00. This was listed on the window sticker under a long forgotten option code at that price and was considered just a regular option, even though it was at the reduced price. It seems that Chrysler was trying to move these radios, as they were actually slightly out of fashion in 1981. There were about 10-15 new '81s at the time to choose from at that dealer, I bought one in the nice light tan color. Chrysler supplied a mike holder for the end used to mount (via a screw) on the dash where ever they wanted. The original paperwork with the cb gave some placement ideas. The antenna had a longer mast than the regular one, and it was pre-tuned for the radio, so no SWR meter was needed. Chrysler did not have a splitter behind the dash for these radios, everyone was only available with the factory externam am/fm/cb antenna.

Just some info...
1of10K
Car Fan

Car Information: 1982 Reliant Spring Special Coupe

Postby 88 aries » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:25 pm

I purchased the original antenna off of ebay. it has a taller mast compared to the regular..
88 aries

Previous

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects