Work starts on the 1987 Lebaron...

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Re: Work starts on the 1987 Lebaron...

Postby mozartpc27 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Wow, that is pretty much the exact same model and color I have (a 1987 LeBaron, pics in "Welcome" board). I have a question - what do you do to get that vinyl top its cleanest? That has vexed me.
mozartpc27

Car Information: 1987 Chrysler LeBaron

Postby nszotovich » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Use any Vinyl and plastic cleaner. The trick is to clean it several times, using a clean micro-fiber rag each time. Once you get it as clean as you can, put a protectant. There are some acrylic waxes you can put on any surface, including vinyls and plastics. read you labels and you can't miss.
nszotovich

Car Information: 82 LeBaron Town&Country Wagon 85 LeBaron Coupe

Postby Baron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:26 am

Years ago I bought a car with a white vinyl top that was so dirty it was almost black. I got out some warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush so I could scrub both the high and the low spots in the vinyl (the brush was one of the ones that has a handle on it to fit in your hand). After I had scrubbed the vinyl with the bristle brush and soapy water I rinsed it off with clean water, let it dry and then applied a few coats of vinyl wax - they had it then, I'm assuming they still have it now. The vinyl came out snow white and looked like new after I put the wax on. It looked so good, in fact, that a few days later when I happened to be driving by the house where the former owner lived, he was out in the front yard watering the yard with a hose. I literally watched him as he did the cartoon double-take where he turned to watch in amazement as the car went by and the hose and water followed him as he turned. Just took a little elbow grease and the outcome was well worth the effort.
Baron
Car Fan

Car Information: 1983 Chrysler E-Class

Previous

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects