Ive never came across one of these before

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Ive never came across one of these before

Postby 88 aries » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:47 pm

an oil gauge in place of the oil light? interesting http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 828543459+
88 aries

Re: Ive never came across one of these before

Postby farmertom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 am

I've never seen one of these either. I know for the F-150's in the 80's that was an option, the idiot light was standard for oil and charge. Thankfully my pickup has the gauges, about the only option that truck got.
farmertom
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant

Postby capev86 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:01 pm

i bought one of those NOS oil gauges on eBay awhile back. easy to swap in in place of the idiot light. supposedly there is a different part number for the black "mask" but it is easy enough to cut the old one back so the gauge is visible and looks clean from the front. the problem is finding the circuit board that has the prongs to plug into the back of the gauge. the reg board for 86-87 cars (one of the dash harness plugs is different on 88/89) is 4051806. i have not been able to find 4051807 for my 86 K wagon. either i will start calling dealers directly and see if they can find it via their network (how i got my super rare NOS police package 125mph speedometer) or see if i can find a factory manual that details the circuitry differences. there are unused holes and circuit paths on the regular board that corresponds to the holes in the back of the gauge, so obviously i just need to see where jumper wires, etc, go. i can rob the standard 88-89 board from my parts car for the extra pins needed. but i'd prefer just to buy the correct part rather than break out a soldering iron. only other thing needed for the conversion will be a variable pressure sender on the engine block instead of the on/off one with the light.

capev86
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Dodge Aries Wagon LE 2.5

Postby capev86 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:14 am

Checked in at the local Mopar dealership the other day and there are no spare circuit boards for the oil pressure gauge to be found in the entire dealer network. Nothing available via a search on Parts Voice either....I have been checking for months. Better chance of winning the lottery than finding Police Package parts.
capev86
Car Fan

Postby capev86 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:33 pm

i'm starting to believe in miracles. put out the word on my other favorite K car forums (turbododge and turbo-mopar) and someone put on the circuit board i needed. it was on eBay of all places and had a buy it now price. cost me less than $40 with shipping....can't beat it. i could see in the pics the extra pins that plug into the oil gauge. there are extra pins in the middle to use the other oil idiot light, but not sure if it just uses a jumper wire to the extra pins on the regular idiot light paths or if there are more plugs on the dash harness for cars originally equipped with the gauge. not worried about having the light working if i have the gauge, but i will keep investigating....

capev86
Car Fan

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects