I need some help.

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

I need some help.

Postby Quickmr2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 am

I am Kinda new to this kind of thing. I have a 1985 Chrysler Le Barron Convertible. The Gauge cluster is broken so some of the buttons don't work. It did not pass smog because of no check engine light. When I took a part the dash, there was no check engine light. I speculate that it is part of the digital cluster, and thus is not working. Does anyone know where I can get a cluster that is working from. Chrysler says they do not carry them any more, that it is to old. If anyone could help that would be great. It doesn't even have to be new, just working. Thank you :P
Quickmr2

Car Information: 1985 Chrysler LeBarron Convertible Turbo

Re: I need some help.

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the club! I looked for a part number for the digital dash cluster in my 85 parts book so i could give you a part number to look for. Having a part number is half the battle when looking for a part. Apparently there were several different electronic dash clusters, one with a tachometer and one without and some options on a travel computer. So, can you describe to me exactly what is in your car? Once we get a part number there are places you can look like Partsvoice.com Arizona Parts and many online junk yard search engines. Also, there may not be a check engine light as we know them today. It may be called a power loss light which it is on the conventional analog dash clusters, I'm not sure about the digital dashs
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby Dodge Aries K » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:48 pm

DOes the "Power Loss" light on the dash work? If so, the smog person isn't very smart...

Oh yeah, the buttons not working is a very common failure. There's someone on Turbo-Mopar who used to redo the buttons... I just can't remember who.
Dodge Aries K

Postby MyDodgeDip » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 am

Even on digital dash cars, the check engine/power loss light is still a regular light.
MyDodgeDip

Postby Quickmr2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Great! I am glad to see so much help. I do have a Power loss light. and it does light up if i have Key turned in 1st position. It was on the other day when I was driving home from smog place. but is not on when I started the car just now. I don't know if it is something that needs to have the car warmed up from or not. But any who back to the question at hand. The Gauges. It does't not have a Tach on it,just speedo, gas, oil, volts,Temp, milage. Also, to the left of the gauges is a pick of the car and when door is open door on pick lights up red. ect. So, from what is sounds like the check engine light is really the Power loss light?
Quickmr2

Postby Dodge Aries K » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Correct. Power Loss = Check Engine = Service Engine Soon. Different phrases, same meaning.
Dodge Aries K

Postby Quickmr2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 pm

LOL! I went back to the guy in person to tell him what I learned. Suddenly he changed his story and said " Oh yea, i saw the power loss light on when I was smoging it, and it just means there is an emissions problem" I am thinking Tool, why did you argue with me about the car having a check engine light, saying IT Has to be there, the book says so. Duh right? He told me just bring down the emissions on it and it will pass. Thanks guys for your help. Also my drivers side window just stopped working and will no longer stay up on its own. Then motor is still working, I can hear it. With assistance I can feel it trying to roll up and down the window, but the window still just falls to the bottom of the door. Any ideas? Oh yea the gauges do have an trip odometer also as well as Km/Miles button.
Quickmr2

Postby Dodge Aries K » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

The regulator probably broke or at least came out of the window track. Pull the door panel off and take a look in there.
Dodge Aries K

Postby Quickmr2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:25 am

i took panel off. Cant see to much, but I see the window is in its track. Is there something specific I should look for that would be out of place?
Quickmr2

Postby Pete in NH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi,

First, are you still looking to replace the digital instrument cluster and need apart number?

On the window if it still is in the track your next step would be to check the regulator mechanism and motor out.

On the polution issues, These cars where some of the first to have computer engine management of the fuel delivery system. They are quite primitive by today's standards but did include a handy trouble code read out method that doesn't require a special scan tool. When you first turn the ignition key to the first position from off the power loss light should come on briefly and then go off, this is a system/bulb check. When the engine is running if the power loss light comes on it indicates some type of problem with the system. To get a readout of the trouble codes start by turning the engine off. Then turn the key from off to the first on position , then off, on,off then end in the on position , do not start the engine. The power loss light will then begin to blink out and stored trouble codes. These are two digit codes, the last is 55 which means end of test. It can take a little practice to get the codes read as the blink rate can be a little uneven. Lets us know what codes are displayed, you could have a bad sensor or something in the system that is effecting emissions.

Also, a good tune-up if no codes are displayed may help. New spark plus, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and air filter can help if the car has been negelected for a long while.. By the way what engine do you have in the car?
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects