digital cluster out

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

digital cluster out

Postby bugman48 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:08 am

hi guys. ive got a 86 mark cross labaron convertable with 58k. great shape. but that not the issue. sunday i was driving and the digital speed, fuel, oil ,water, and mileage started to fade and i tapped the dash and it went out completly. the mpg / trip readout is still working.
WHAT HAPPEND AND WHAT CAN I DO? THANKS RONNIE
bugman48

Car Information: 1986 chrysler la baron MC Turbo convertable

Re: digital cluster out

Postby Dodge Aries K » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 am

Pull the cluster out and make sure the plug is plugged in all the way. After that, I'm not sure haha.
Dodge Aries K

Postby Pete in NH » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi,

Yes, try reseating the connector and some good contact cleaner like De Oxit in the connector pins might help as well. Try Radio Shack for the De Oxit. Past that you can replace the instrument module. a factory shop manual would be helpful to step you through the troubleshooting steps for the instrument module but in the end the manual will likely tell you to replace it. If you know some one who is an electronics type person perhaps they could look the printed circuit board over for bad solder connections or breaks in the board traces, especially around where the connector pins are soldered into the printed circuit board. Resoldering the connector pins to the board sometimes helps.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Pete in NH

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant SE

Postby bugman48 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Thank you for the info. i will try that and let you know. thanks again
bugman48

Postby bugman48 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:03 pm

well no luck. i dont know what else to do. if anybody has any ideas let me know.
bugman48

Postby Pete in NH » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:38 am

Hi,
Well, that was the quick and easy trhing to try, sorry to hear it didn't work. You may have no other option at this point but to find a replacement instrument cluster. Try Arizona Parts or one of the online junk yard search engines. You may want to get a picture of any potential replacement panel to make sure it's the right one and have it be subject to testing in your car to make sure it's a working unit.

Good luck!
Pete in NH

Postby bugman48 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:00 pm

thanks pete. i took everything apart. everything is getting power so its in the board somewhere. i will try what you said.
Thanks a very sad labaron owner
bugman48

Postby Pete in NH » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Hi,

My 1986 parts book shows two part numbers depending on if you have a tach or message center cluster.

The parts book shows the following - Cluster,Electronic- P/N 4374186 W/message center.
P/N 4312771 W/Tach.

Arizona Parts shows both part numbers available but their a bit expensive. With the part numbers you may be able to use one on the online junk yard search engines.

Good luck!
Pete in NH

Postby bugman48 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 pm

i have the message center. but i would love to have the tach instead. is that possible? i saw a hook up for a tach when i had the cluster pulled apart. thanks for the info.
bugman48

Postby Pete in NH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi,

A quick check of the wiring diagrams seems to show that the dash cable connectors provide all signals for both types of electronic modules. so, I would think either electronic cluster would swap in and work.

This makes sense, on an assembly line having two different wiring harnesses for the different dash clusters would be more trouble than the few cents worth of wire that might be saved.
Pete in NH

Next

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects