Got a chance to buy my first car back

Go here to post pictures, videos, car finds, meet interesting new people, and tell us how your car is coming along.

Moderators: 89ARIES, Webmaster

Got a chance to buy my first car back

Postby farmertom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 am

Hey everyone, its been quite a while since I posted but I've been checking in from time to time.

So the girl I sold my '88 Reliant to has blown the head gasket. Before they have it hauled off to the junkyard they're giving me the chance to buy it back. Its got 140k+ on it by now and it is definitely worse for the wear. But I am in need of a cheap commuter so I am considering buying it back. What do you have to say about doing a head gasket on these? I've never had to do it, but I think that I am up for the task. Question is if the car is worth reviving and what could be the next thing that could go wrong. Its been about 2.5 years since I sold it.

Update on my '86 Reliant, for those of you who might be wondering...Still got the car, its got about 27,500 miles on it now. Been driving it quite a bit this summer. Had it in two Mopar shows, took first in Bremerton and second in Spokane in the FWD class.

Here is a pic of my first car, the one with the blown head gasket.

And here is the '86 at the Mopar show in Spokane, Washington. You can see I finally got white wall tires for it!

farmertom
Car Fan

Car Information: 1986 Plymouth Reliant

Re: Got a chance to buy my first car back

Postby 88 aries » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 am

They are not so bad, the pain in the butt part is getting the exhaust bolt off.. other than that its about an 8 hour job.. The only thing I would doc you points on is the wrong hubcaps for an 86 Reliant SE lol...13 inch are hard to find..looking good man

but for a beater car I would definately buy your old car back.
88 aries

Postby Downey Dan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:52 am

I'm the original owner of an '84 LeBaron turbo. I've had the Chrysler dealer replace the cracked head on mine twice over the years. The last time was about 8 years ago, and they had a hard time finding a head. But it has run fine ever since, and now has 152K miles on it. DAN
Downey Dan

Car Information: Chrysler, LeBaron, '84, Mark Cross Turbo Convertib

Postby 89ARIES » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:11 am

Hello Downey Dan. Merry Christmas. We are going to have fun in Palm Springs. Will send a reminder email soon. Check out the new designed website at www.chryslerkcar.com. 8-)
89ARIES
Chysler K Car Club Founder

Car Information: 1989 Dodge Aries

Postby ed77katr » Fri May 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Its your First Car!!! Save it!! My first car I totaled, but was sorry I did not save it. 37 years later I still miss it. But in 1977 I did replace it with my first "Brand New" car a 1977 Ford Granada I bought new on March 29,1977 ... I STILL OWN IT!! I haven't driven it since 1998 but I concider my first car. Even if you just store it away,then Years later restore it.. its worth it. Everytime I climb in my Granada IM 19 Again.. Yes I go back in time!! im 55 now.. Just my 2 cents... Ed
ed77katr

Car Information: 1990 Plymouth Acclaim MINT!!! 22976 original Mile

Return to Daily Updates & Club Projects